Campus Cutie: Gaby Spangenberg C’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

Get to know our Cutie, Gaby Spangenberg!

Name: Gaby Spangenberg

Nicknames: G baby, Spanks

Class: Senior

Greek Organization: TKP

Hometown: New Orleans, LA

Major: Ecology/Biodiversity and French minor

Relationship status: dating Ian Hazelhoff (graduated 2013)

Extracurricular Activities: I enjoy pinning and painting insects, though the mice in our house seem to enjoy them more. Bird watching, and people watching, with my binoculars.

Best Class You’ve taken at Sewanee: Ornithology

Signature Dance Move: WOP with Helen Cousar*

Most Attractive Qualities in a Boy: Sense of humor, intelligence, and he must have a cute nose and ears.

Weird Body Fact: I have arthritis in my knees and ankles, so I am pretty much an old woman… My pill box doesn’t help that reputation either.

Words to Live By at Sewanee:

1. Wear tennis shoes to go out, it is so much more comfortable and then you can ALWAYS dance!

2. ALWAYS be weird, because the weirder , the better here.

3. ALWAYS laugh a lot, definitely burns some calories

4. Be excited to study and work hard, don’t forget how lucky we are to be here

Reasons Why We Love Her:

What is your ideal Sewanee Saturday night?

Attending a theme party, preferably ‘apres ski’ or old school rap, just one that my wardrobe allows. I have a pretty amazing costume box, which I believe has made me a cooler person at times. I really like dressing up.

What dating advice would you give to girls on how to navigate the Sewanee Hookup Culture?

The hookup culture has always bothered me, but it’s impossible to avoid. The best advice I can give you is don’t ever feel like you owe a guy. Flirt, have fun, but, in the end, don’t feel pressured or forced to go home with him, or even kiss him! He can wait! I know everyone who is reading this has seen the Notebook or some rom-com that has made you sob uncontrollably. There are gentlemen at this school, believe it or not, and sometimes they just get caught up in the hookup scene as well. You should always want the best for yourself, because you deserve it. Don’t be embarrassed to be “old school” and go on a date. I guess dates are difficult here but swipe for each other at McClurg for God’s sake if you don’t want to go anywhere else.  Okay, now I am rambling, but be yourself, and be happy, because happy girls are the prettiest! (the “believe it or not” comment was sarcastic!)

As Director of the Co Ho (Communtiy Engagement House), what is your favorite thing about living in the house and what are some of the greatest challenges you have faced?

Living in the Co Ho has been an awesome experience. We have the best group of people living here, all of whom I’ve loved getting to know. We tend to play lots of Cards Against Humanity and hang out in the living room after homework, being delirious at 1 am. I love living here because it has opened my eyes to many parts of campus that I had never been introduced to before. It amazed me that as a senior I could still meet people in my grade who I had never seen before. It is so important, as Sewanee students, to get out of your comfort zone and branch into different areas of campus. Don’t we all get sick of the same people anyways?

Some challenges… learning how to delegate. It’s impossible to do an event here alone, and learning how to direct the house members was really difficult at first! We have it down to a science now. I better see everyone here for our next event!

I once heard someone say, “Gaby Spangenberg can literally do anything.” What has been your most proud accomplishment during your years at Sewanee?

Well, thank you, whoever said that, not sure how legit that is but its always good to try! I honestly think the only reason I can get anything done is because of my strengths according to StrengthsQuest. I am a Wooer and Includer, so every event and every program I have helped out with has been to please people. That sounds so creepy and weird, but I am so happy when an event turns out well and people feel as if they have gained something from it. My most proud accomplishment would be something that I have been working on for three years now: Diabetes in rural TN. This disease is turning into a global phenomenon. Diabetes, type II specifically, is a lifestyle disease; it is caused by putting too much sugar and false additives into our foods and drinks then continuing with our sedimentary lifestyles, which forces us to be an overweight and unhealthy society. The past three years I have worked in free medical clinics in Winchester, Beersheba Springs, and South Pittsburg. Each of these clinics saw the same issues– unhealthy lifestyles in a rural setting. Over the years I’ve created diabetes programs at the clinics to educate patients about their conditions, advise them about healthy changes they can make to their daily habits, and try to create an atmosphere where Sewanee students can aid local communities from a health perspective. We now have a clinical internship program and a diabetes education program (both student run, after a training process) in the Winchester and Beersheba Springs clinics. Though we are still facing many issues, especially about the obstacles of living in a food desert,  I hope this will be the start of a long-lasting partnership with the clinics and Sewanee students to create relationships, educate, and aid local communities.

Inspired by Gaby? Watch a trailer for the film, Girl Rising, that inspired her:

*There may or may not be video evidence of Gaby doing the WOP on Facebook

M R

Sewanee '00

n/a