Campus Cutie: Dallas Snyder C’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

Get to know our cutie! 

Name: Dallas J. Snyder

Nicknames: Daddy

Birthday: November 3rd, 1993

Class: I’m a senior, but I’ll need one extra semester in 2016

Greek Organization: Chi Psi

Hometown: Knoxville, TN

Major: Psychology

Relationship status: Single

Extracurricular Activities: Chi Psi President, Sewanee Angel

Best Class You’ve taken at Sewanee: I took a class in which we covered only Moby Dick for the entire semester. It was taught by both Chaplain Macfie and Dean Gatta, and it was most certainly the most engaging and enjoyable class I’ve ever taken.

Signature Pub Order: I order a Granger and chicken strips, then I put the honey mustard and chicken inside the Granger. aka the Super Granger

Signature Dance Move: After I’ve imbibed, I prefer the “pretend like I know how to swing dance until someone calls me out on it.” 

Go-to McClurg Line: Brownie –> Microwave –> Vanilla ice cream. Boom. 

What qualities do you find most attractive: I find a good sense of humor, an open mind, and humble confidence to be the most attractive personality traits in a person.

Biggest Pet Peeve: My biggest pet peeve is when someone who is capable of greatness settles for their second best.

Spirit Animal: I’ve been told my spirit animal is a fox.

Weird Body Fact: My pinky toes lie sideways, almost at a 90 degree angle. I inherited this from my mother’s side of the family. 

What is the most embarrassing song on your iTunes? I’ve got a 15 minute long electronic Lady Gaga mashup from 2012. 

What is your most embarrassing Sewanee story? The first week of my freshman year, I went to the wrong floor of Walsh-Ellet. I thought I was sitting in my Econ 101 class with Dr. Williams, but I was in an upper-level political science class. Class started before I realized this, and I was so embarrassed that I sat through the roll call until the professor asked if I had transferred into the class. I told him how I ended up there, and he and the upperclassmen thought it was hilarious. They laughed me out into the hallway. Awkward.  

Here’s why we love him! 

What do you like best about being president of your fraternity?

What I love most about being the president of my fraternity is the growth I have witnessed in my brothers since I assumed the position. The whole place is full of energy, and self-improvement is a concrete goal for everyone. I also find comfort in knowing I can leave a legacy behind, and that someday I can come back as an alum and be proud of our lasting accomplishments.

Are there any challenges to being a leader in Greek life?

There is a certain amount of pressure I feel to keep pushing the envelope when it comes to our social and professional image. I know that if I have a bad week and disregard my responsibilities as president, it could take two weeks to recover. 

What kind of things can we look forward to this year at Chi Psi?

The Philip Spencer Ball, scheduled tentatively for early November, will be our best event. It’s a black tie optional date night open to all, and last year’s was by far the best party I’ve ever attended. Before it gets too cold, I’d also like to do a community canoe race across lake Trez to benefit some sort of local charity organization. 

What is the biggest thing on your Sewanee Bucket List as you face your Senior Year?

I have yet to hike the Perimeter Trail, and I’d like to do it all in one day before I graduate.

Madi is a Senior from Asheville, North Carolina. She has written for the Sewanee chapter of Her Campus since it was founded her Freshman year, and hopes to continue writing after graduation either as a journalist or through work in Public Relations. She loves laughing and hearing people's life stories!