Campus Celebrity: Lorna Harkey C’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

I sat down with Lorna Harkey this week. Lorna is a junior and was studying abroad 

in Freiburg, Germany during the Advent Semester of 2014. I asked her a few 

questions about her time abroad and her life in general. Here’s what this gem of a 

person had to say:

Where are you from?

Jackson, Mississippi

What made you decide to come to Sewanee?

I actually didn’t want to go to college, but during my senior year one of my teachers- 

a new teacher who was a young Sewanee grad… I had a crush on him- told me about 

Sewanee, so I decided I would go check it out. When I got here I fell in love and 

decided to apply early action.

What went through your head when you were trying to pick out a study 

abroad program?

Well, I had been taking German classes for two years and decided to go to Germany. 

They had two programs, one was focused on my major, which at the time was 

Anthropology, and the other was an environmental studies program. I decided to 

take the Environmental Studies option. I’m a Environmental Studies and 

Sustainability major now.

Did you ever miss things from home or Sewanee?

Of course. I was here for PRE, so I got to see all of my friends getting ready for the 

semester and I just wanted to stay for the semester and not go to Germany. I was 

waiting to get on the plane to Freiburg thinking, “Let’s just do it and get it over with 

so that I can get back to Sewanee!” But the minute I got to there, that changed, and I 

missed everyone, but I was so busy do my thing that my friends and family weren’t 

on my mind  all the time, just like I probably wasn’t on their minds all time here. 

What’s your favorite food?

Anything my mom cooks. She can throw and amazing meal together so quickly. It 

will be 5 o’clock and she’ll ask, “What do you want for dinner?” and within an hour 

or two she’ll have food on the table and we’ll be like “how do you do this?” She 

completely destroys the kitchen doing it, too, and we have to clean it up afterward.
Sarah Christie, C'16, is a biochemistry major and French minor at Sewanee. When she graduates, she wants to go to vet school. She loves dancing like nobody is watching, meeting new people, eating Pub food, riding horses, and writing for Her Campus.