Style > Beauty

Why You Should Buy Shampoo Labelled “Sulfate Free”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

You’ve probably heard your hairdresser, or a friend mention the phrase “sulfate free” when it comes to your shampoo. This is a relatively new craze, so here’s everything you need to know about how sulfates can affect your hair.

The term sulfate seems scary and overly chemical in nature but in reality, its makeup is a relatively simple one. In short, sulfates are the part of your shampoo that makes it foam up when you scrub it in and helps with the actual process of cleaning by attracting both water and oil. They’re not just found in shampoos-you can find them in skin cleansing agents and conditioners as well.

The main argument for sulfate free shampoo is that they are too aggressive to safely maintain your hair’s normal chemical structure. The harsh nature of using sulfate products to scrub at your scalp leaves it dry and irritated after multiple uses. If you’re someone who has dandruff or naturally fine hair, you’ll want to avoid sulfate-based shampoos because they will dramatize the dry and brittle nature of your scalp or split ends.

Another reason that sulfates aren’t effective shampoo ingredients is that they often leave your hair with an anionic charge. An anionic charge means that your hair will be frizzier and duller after multiple uses. Without the addition of heat products which also damage your hair this is a step in the wrong direction. If you dye or bleach your hair this step can be even more dangerous because it can strip away layers of dye and dry out your hair even more. This is especially harmful if your hair has been “processed” more than once and is at its breaking point from being overworked with dye and bleach and chemically based products.

Some people argue that sulfates can cause cancer, as is the case with most science-based arguments that involve a lot of long words with too many consonants to count. This is definitely unfounded, according to the American Cancer Society.

Unfortunately, many brands do not yet carry sulfate-free shampoos due to the recent nature of the argument. As such, sulfate-free shampoos tend to be on the pricier side of the aisle because they are so hard to come by. But it’s worth the splurge if you can afford it because having a sulfate-free shampoo will leave your hair softer and smoother by more natural means in only a few washes.

Sophie Gochtovtt

Seton Hall '21

Sophie is a double major in Visual and Sound Media and Creative Writing at Seton Hall. She is an active sophomore- involved in Alpha Sigma Tau, English Club, and Pirate TV. In her free time, she enjoys watching movies, reading books and writing stories.
Hi! My name is Kiah Conway and I'm a double major in Journalism and Creative Writing here at Seton Hall. I am one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus, as well as a Chapter Advisor for some HC Chapters. If it wasn't already obvious, I am really passionate about writing. I'm also a serious Netflix addict and book lover. In between binge watching Marvel movies and doing homework, I spend my time hardcore Pinteresting and writing short stories.