Culture > News

Why It’s Important that You Vote On Tuesday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

This Tuesday, November 6, 2018 is polling day for the United States mid-term elections. It is an incredibly important event in our democracy and here are a few reasons why it’s important to exercise your right as an American citizen to vote.

1. Generation Z (ages 15-21) are the most politically stressed out generation right now, according to a study on CNN.

The current political climate of America is a grim one – the threat of war looms, people of color are being stripped of their rights, gender identity and sexuality are seen as “political correctness” rather than actual identities and people. If there was ever a time to change the course of history and shape the future, it is to help a young, vulnerable generation to see that the world still cares. Even if you’ve been voting for decades now, it is still incredibly important to not only show solidarity but protect the country you call home from collapsing into a political abyss.

2. You could change the course of an election.

Mid-term elections may seem insignificant in the grand scheme of things, but they are incredibly important because they help shape legislation that is being proposed and is going to be proposed. If you don’t like the way the country is running something, this is your chance to shape the world the way you want. Vote for candidates who align with your values, regardless of their political association. A label is less important than the actual opinion.

3. It’s easy!

Aside from the actual decision making, voting is incredibly easy. It’s literally just filling in bubbles. Jokes aside, go with your gut when you vote this Tuesday because odds are, the candidate that you vote for is going to be the most aligned with your values and therefore represent the America that you want to see.

4. You get a cool sticker. For FREE!

Guys, this is not a joke. They just give you the sticker. Just for showing up and voting.

Sophie Gochtovtt

Seton Hall '21

Sophie is a double major in Visual and Sound Media and Creative Writing at Seton Hall. She is an active sophomore- involved in Alpha Sigma Tau, English Club, and Pirate TV. In her free time, she enjoys watching movies, reading books and writing stories.
Hi! My name is Kiah Conway and I'm a double major in Journalism and Creative Writing here at Seton Hall. I am one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus, as well as a Chapter Advisor for some HC Chapters. If it wasn't already obvious, I am really passionate about writing. I'm also a serious Netflix addict and book lover. In between binge watching Marvel movies and doing homework, I spend my time hardcore Pinteresting and writing short stories.