Why Books Are Always Best And My Favorite Novel Picks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

You know why novels are great?

It’s a solitary activity that you can indulge in without answering to anyone.

When you read a book, you’re forming your own interpretations. You’re deciding for yourself if it’s a good read, or worthless like jeans with those fake pockets (mind you, I’ve only seen that on women’s jeans *insert dramatic eye roll*).

If you think about it, books are a space that feels undisturbed. Hashtags, tweets, likes, and reblogs seem to rule our lives. In 2018, having a loud opinion is the wave. If you say it loudly, and unwaveringly, and have thousands of retweets, it’s easy to drift along with what everyone is liking and retweeting. I should know, it’s happened, and is still happening to me.

When you read a novel, you’re not only reading a story, but forming a foundation of perspective. Your perspective. A perspective that is unmolested by what other people have to say about  it. What do you have to say about it?

I will never stop marveling at the wonder of a good novel. In honor of November being Novel Writing month, here are a few of my absolute favorite novels:

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

Maggie Stiefvater is probably a YA genius, because she actually writes characters that fit the age of ‘teen’ without being cheesy, weird, or cliché. If old Nordish kings are your thang then have at it.

The Hating Game by Sally Thorne

Okay, okay you got me. I love a good romance story. Like, love-hate relationships with a surly but sensitive hero? And fantastic writing? Oh yeah, sign me up.

The Sun Is Also A Star by Nicola Yoon

I *deep breath* love this book so much, oh my goodness. I would describe this book as beautiful. Beautiful, and heartbreaking, but not in the way you would expect, which makes it better or worse, depending on how you see it. Bonus! Focus on an interracial couple; both of them minorities. You notice how there’s not many of those? Anyway, read it before the movie comes out!

Chronicles of a Death Foretold by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

You ever think about how social media has made us 24/7 voyeurs, and bystanders? You ever wonder what that looked like before the social of the media?

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

This is for sure a sentimental book for me, and you’ve probably already read it, but eh, who cares? I read this book when I was in the sixth grade. I read about black women who I didn’t realize I needed representation of. Consequently, this is a forever favorite.

What’s on your list?

Megan Beauchamp

Seton Hall '19

Writer of people, places, and things. Hey, read my things!
Hi! My name is Kiah Conway and I'm a double major in Journalism and Creative Writing here at Seton Hall. I am one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus, as well as a Chapter Advisor for some HC Chapters. If it wasn't already obvious, I am really passionate about writing. I'm also a serious Netflix addict and book lover. In between binge watching Marvel movies and doing homework, I spend my time hardcore Pinteresting and writing short stories.