What do you want to be when you grow up?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

“What do you want to be when you grow up?” This question seemed to be a lot easier to answer when you were little and didn’t know how hard it would be to get there. The most popular answers usually included astronaut, doctor, or even president, all of which take many years of hard work and perseverance, not to mention commitment. Deciding what one wants to do for the rest of their life not only sounds daunting, but it teeters on the edge of impossible. The person you are at the age of eighteen is, hopefully, different from the person you are at forty. The very weight of deciding a future career hits its peak at the end of high school, or for some during the first few years of college, when it is time to choose your major. One day you’re six years old aspiring to be a movie star, and the next you are about to enter college just trying to pick a major that you somewhat enjoy and makes you a sufficient amount of money in the future. But how can you decide when there are so many options and you can barely pick out what to wear in the morning?

I’ve always been the person that has an abundance of hobbies and interests, but none of which I wanted to make my life’s occupation. Fast forward to the end of my senior year in high school and I had no clue what major I was going to declare, much less commit to a field of study that I felt obligated to stick to. Because I felt so confused and pressured, I opted to enter college as an undecided major. The term “undecided” in itself is extremely indicative of what it references. Now in the latter half of my second year in college, I realize it is completely okay to be undecided especially when it comes to something so significant. Important decisions are not meant to be rushed or forced, just as choosing a career path shouldn’t be. The expectation to declare a major that is enduringly fun and profitable at the same time is intimidating, and frankly unrealistic. Despite having declared a major since then, I still consider myself undecided when it comes to my future. This does not mean that I am lost or doomed to fail, it just means that at nineteen years old, I do not have everything completely figured out.

To those who think entering college without a pre-determined or set plan of action is unacceptable, may my story show you that this is not the case. College is meant for exploration and “trial and error” experiences. My train of thought has always been, and still is, that it is better to put time into the decisions that matter most. If you have known what career path you have wanted to pursue for years, then follow that passion if you think it is what’s best for you. As long as you have your best interests in mind and move forward with a positive outlook, what lies ahead won’t seem so frightening. Therefore, throw away all the expectations of having a perfect career that will hopefully establish a perfect life. If college has taught me one thing, it is that mistakes, some bigger than others, are going to happen whether you want them to or not. Recognizing this will be one of the easiest steps to finding out what you want to do with your life, and who knows, maybe you will end up being an astronaut like your six year old self aspired to be.

Sophomore Graphic Design Major and Public Relations Minor at Seton Hall University, although my 5 and an eigth of an inch stature alludes otherwise. Avid awkward dancer and aspiring Picasso. I firmly believe Mozzarella Sticks can cure any unrest, proven through my own experience. I am always ready for new adventures, some of which turn into interesting reads:)