Life > Experiences

Let’s Get Used To Confrontation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

When you come to a crossroads whether it be with a friend, boyfriend, girlfriend, family member, sorority sister and even a stranger what we fear most is confrontation. 

Confrontation is often negatively connotated with aggression, anger and fighting. I am here to tell you that this is not the case and it’s time that we all confront ourselves and get comfortable with the idea of having a hard conversation. By this, I don’t mean sending someone a text and solving it that way, I mean real life stuff.

You will never feel the same sense of accomplishment, then if you work your problems out like you lived in a technology free world. Using your phone is almost cheating, I am talking face to face people! How did the caveman work out their problems? They grunted at each other and probably hugged after.

Having a hard conversation is certainly uncomfortable, but it’s an important step to adulthood as well as feeling like you are able to accomplish things by yourself through one of the worlds most basic things; language!

If ever you need to have an important conversation some of the best advice I was ever given is to wait at least 24 hours after you feel like you might want to have a conversation with someone. This allows you time to cool off and collect your thoughts. Also, be sure to acknowledge the other person’s side, we are all trying our best out here to thrive and survive.

To avoid things getting hostile, be calm, honest and be a good listener. At the end of the day, never be afraid to stand up for yourself or stand up for what you believe in. The fullest sense of self you will feel is when you remain true to you.