This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

“Easy, breezy, beautiful, CoverGirl;” a phrase that is widely-recognized but limited as to who it applies to, at least until recently. On October 11, 2016, James Charles, a seventeen year old male was named the new face of CoverGirl, making him the first male to grace their covers. Upon hearing this news, several questions loomed in my mind, some of which I’m sure mused in others’ minds as well. Does this mean there is going to be CoverGirl makeup catering to males, or is the male model wearing their makeup that already exists for females? An even bigger question, and in my opinion even more pertinent, is whether or not this means CoverGirl is going to reshape their brand and incorporate more male faces in the future. Even the makeup brand’s name alludes to how gender-exclusive it has been up until now. As a result of the introduction of James Charles as their newest CoverBoy, maybe that will no longer be the case.

Since its creation, CoverGirl has had quite the list of female celebrities as ambassadors for their brand. Ranging from Tyra Banks to Ellen DeGeneres, the cover has had a versatile range of cover models. By expanding that range even further to men, CoverGirl is challenging the stereotype that, because makeup is a “beauty product,” it cannot be utilized by males. How could something so widely regarded as feminine be so widely accepted as a male product as well? This question should be answered quite easily with the statement, “a new outlook.” I find it very refreshing that an iconic brand such as CoverGirl chose to not only make their brand more inclusive, but also making it more modernized. Times have passed where makeup was sparingly used and without any unique creativity. Nowadays some makeup artists’ work are more like artistic masterpieces in which the face is a human canvas. When you look at James Charles’ work, it is apparent that he is one of these artists.

Makeup is a form of self-expression. There is more than one way to apply it, and certainly not just one type or color. Putting on makeup can even change one’s mood in an instant, which I have learned over the years of using it. There are days that I feel down about myself or tired, leading me to turn to makeup to cheer myself up. There should be no limitation preventing men from being able to do the same.