diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Conquering a Lecture

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

We’ve all heard it a million times, starting in elementary school our teachers have been telling us that each year, our teachers will expect more and more from us and that our old habits won’t fly as we grow as students. In college, you are the pilot. My first year was nothing but a learning experience, it takes a few weeks to figure out what works for you as a student and I have a few tips that could set you on the right path as you continue your education.

Whether you are present in class or not, it doesn’t make a difference to your instructor, but missing one class in college could set you back further than you could imagine and it may even affect your grade. We are all tired, overwhelmed and we all love to hit snooze but even if you roll up to class in your PJ’s with your hair in the ponytail from last night, at least you made it to class. It is estimated that one college class is roughly $110 in value. That’s a lot of dough!

Whether it be for a meeting, class or simply meeting up with friends it is best to be five minutes early to everything. That will give you time to settle into your environment. Lecture halls might seem intimidating, but professors don’t bite (if they did they wouldn’t be allowed around other people). Do your best to sit in the first few rows, it pays off. You don’t have to be in the first seat if that isn’t your speed, but being close to the board enhances your learning experience, prevents you from whipping out your phone and keeps you engaged in the lecture. Believe it or not, professors are pretty freaking smart, and they have good things to say. We all love to daydream, and it’s really easy to drift off into last weekend or this upcoming weekend, but remind yourself why you’re here in the first place, and that is to get an education. In addition, keep that phone in your bag! I promise your friends will still be there after an hour, they aren’t going anywhere. Unless instructed, try and keep your laptop open strictly for power points and note taking. Professors hate when their student’s noses are glued to the screen, and believe me, you never want to be that person caught creeping on your Aunt’s facebook page in class. Keeping your head up, and eyes towards the front of the room is key, plus the professor will get to know that beautiful face of yours! When taking notes, be sure to put them in our own words. Nobody can understand your words quite as well as you can. Even if your instructor posts the notes online, you may never be able to understand them the way that she explained them in class. Remember, their notes are just a guideline, and good note taking is the key to success. Soak in the new info while you’re there, it’s much fresher the first time you hear it. Write down key terms and be sure to google them later. Lastly, don’t be afraid to raise that hand of yours! I guarantee half of the class is thinking the same thing, and will secretly be thanking you. There are no stupid questions, simply stupid people.