5 Graphic Novel Series That Are Worth Reading

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

Saga, by Brian K. Vaughn and Fiona Staples

Saga is the heartbreaking/hilarious tale of two (literally) star crossed lovers from warring worlds who have a child and are running from nearly everyone in the galaxy, who want to make an example out of their treachery. Beautiful illustrations and wonderfully flawed characters make this series hard to miss.

Marvel’s Young Avengers, by Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie with Mike Norton

Young Avengers follows the tale of six superpower teens with an uncanny likeness to their classic counterparts. Another beautifully illustrated rendition of unlikely relationships and (un)happy endings. Bright colors and cartoonish charm bring the misadventures of these heroes to a new level.

The Percy Jackson Graphic Novel Series, by Rick Riordan and Robert Venditti with Attila Futaki

As someone who has Percy’s Poseidon claiming sigil tattooed on her arm, I can say I was a little bit disappointed on the adaptive side of the series. However, as a standalone series, Rick Riordan’s work shines in an entirely new light. The art is beautifully strange, and the story spins a new thread on the “coming of age” genre’s spectrum. The characters are also easy to love as well.

Pandemonium, by Chris Wooding and Cassandra Diaz

Pandemonium follows a young “Darkling” in a case of uncanny resemblance, who falls into the throes and woes of the royal family’s internal combustion. Talon is a commoner thrust into royalty, and his agonizingly slow adaptation to his new lifestyle makes for a hilariously macabre misadventure. Cassandra Diaz’s artwork shows incredibly promise in this debut novel.

Marvel’s Runaways, by Brian K. Vaughn and Adrian Alphona

This series follows 6 childhood best friends and their reaction to the realization that their parents are cultish villains with powerful abilities. The teens embark on a fear-fueled journey of self discovery as they frantically plan, trying to right their parents’ wrongs before anyone else gets hurt. Another example of stylistic, beautifully colored illustration which adds to the whimsy of the characters’ adventures.

Sophie Gochtovtt

Seton Hall '21

Sophie is a double major in Visual and Sound Media and Creative Writing at Seton Hall. She is an active sophomore- involved in Alpha Sigma Tau, English Club, and Pirate TV. In her free time, she enjoys watching movies, reading books and writing stories.
Hi! My name is Kiah Conway and I'm a double major in Journalism and Creative Writing here at Seton Hall. I am one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus, as well as a Chapter Advisor for some HC Chapters. If it wasn't already obvious, I am really passionate about writing. I'm also a serious Netflix addict and book lover. In between binge watching Marvel movies and doing homework, I spend my time hardcore Pinteresting and writing short stories.