Understanding the Indiana Legislation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

Indiana’s new “Religious Freedom Restoration Act” dictates that individuals and businesses have legal protection to cite religious beliefs as a part of their defense if that individual or businesses is being sued or under penalty (regardless of if that party is a government entity). 

This law will be in effect starting July 1, 2015. The intent of the bill suggests that using the argument of religious beliefs is now valid if it’s strong enough to build a case, even if that case involves a government role (as opposed to a private case). The impact, and general reason that many protest this law, is that individuals and businesses are now legally able to refuse service to anyone who happens to identify with the LGBTQ community. But the impact is more than just what is at the surface level and in the media.

ABC News asked Governor if he thought that he had made a mistake by passing the bill, because of the obvious backlash he is receiving.  He replied, “absolutely not,” and went on to say that it, “empowers individuals when they believe the actions of government impinge on their constitutional freedom of religion.” The law itself has no direct malicious intent toward the LGBTQ community, rather the intent to protect all religious freedoms.

Supporting parties of the gay rights movement believe that this bill will set their mission and progression back a decade. This new act has made headlines almost daily since Governor Pence passed it. Various public figures, political or otherwise, have openly shared mutual disdain. Rev. Jesse Jackson called it “offensive.” George Takei tweeted the hashtag #BoycottIndiana. Dustin Lance Black, an LGBTQ rights activist spoke out, saying that Governor Pence was “not courageous.” Several large corporations are considering this new law in their political and financial decision-making. There’s a petition to move the NCAA out of Indiana. Tim Cook (CEO of Apple), the Disciples of Christ, Suburu of America, Angie’s List and Salesforce said it would stop its plan to expand in the state.

For more information on the law, check out the actual text of Indiana’s religious freedom law.

Chick who moved from the east coast to the west coast. Lover of puggles and naps.
I'm Skyler. I go to Seattle University in hopes of earning a degree in Creative Writing. I love to discuss and write about LGBTQ politics, fashion, and I spend way too much time scrolling through Tumblr.