Top 10 Seattle Bucket List Items

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

New Year’s Resolutions should be about experiencing new things; the things you have always wanted to do but haven’t had the means, motivation, or time. Well, it might be easier than you think! You can start local and it can be a lot of fun.

Only 35% of incoming Seattle U freshman this year are from Washington, which means 65% of you may not be familiar with your new home – some of you maybe haven’t even left Capitol Hill! Seattle and Western Washington definitely have a lot to offer whether you are a nature lover or a total foodie.

We are here to help. Here are some of things that should be on your 2015 bucket list and how you can be sure to check them off.

1. Explore the mysterious Great White North.

If you are terrible at geography you probably are not aware that the Canadian border is only about three hours away from Seattle. British Columbia is such a beautiful place and I highly recommend going (that is, if you have a passport!) Vancouver, the Glass City, has a thriving nightlife – especially if you are 19, if you catch  my drift… Whistler is another option for you ski bunnies out there! People from all over the world go there to take advantage of the flawless snow. These places are very accessible for those who have a car – take your friends, make some mix cds and pick up some poutine for the ride – but also accessible for those who do not. The Bolt Bus makes several trips a day from Seattle to Vancouver. Start practicing your accent and learning the metric system because it is your year to cross that border!

2. Try the best sandwich in Seattle, literally the best.

Paseo’s has reopened this year, which is the absolute best news. This sandwich shop (locations in Fremont and Ballard) was rated the second best restaurant in all of the country on Trip Advisor. Seriously, it is that good. Pack your hand wipes and possibly some extra napkins, it will definitely get messy. You can take the 5 bus from 3rd & Pike which will drop you off a block away. Bonus: the Fremont troll is not too far of a walk!

3. Conquer your fear of heights in these high-tech gondolas.

Just like the Space Needle, the Seattle Great Wheel is one of those things you have to do at least once. Tickets are a bit pricey at $13 each but you do get at least three revolutions and the view is spectacular. At one point you are just hovering above the Sound. You can use the trip to the waterfront as an excuse to finally get your cheesy Gum Wall picture too!

4. Get some fresh air! It is called the Evergreen State after all.

The Cascade mountains offer some of the most beautiful hikes you will ever take. The mountains are covered in lush vegetation, with stunning views and are prime for the adventure types. Washington Trail Association is a great place to look for hikes with up-to-date trail conditions and details on difficulty, camping availability and driving directions. If you do not have a friend with a car, OAR offers some outdoorsy trips that you can take advantage of! (The above picture is from the Big Four Ice Caves, northeast of Seattle.)

5. Discover uncharted territory AKA Capitol Hill is not the only cool neighborhood in Seattle.

Seattle University describes itself as an urban oasis. Unfortunately it is also an urban bubble offering a five-block comfort zone for its students. Seattle has lots of other cool neighborhoods to spend time in – Ballard, Fremont, West Seattle, etc. Pick one and go there. Each neighborhood has at least one bus route running to and from Downtown – check the Metro Transit website for routes and times. Ballard has a thriving Sunday market, awesome vintage goods stores and a funky vibe. Fremont has a great bike path on the canal, amazing coffee and of course, the best sandwich. West Seattle you kind of have to discover for yourself.

6. Figure out why the SAM has cars hanging from the ceiling… Seriously, what are those?

The Seattle Art Museum is really neat, even for those who do not know much about art. The collections offer a range styles for all different palettes, whether you like modern art or African pieces. If art is not your thing Seattle has several other museums: Pacific Science Center, the Burke Museum, the Wing Luke, etc. You have to go to at least one of them.

7. Have an excuse for consuming six lattes in a short period of time.

We have all decided what our favorite coffee shop is and have stuck with a signature drink. But how about finding out the history of coffee in Seattle? It is more than just Howard Schultz, let me tell ya! A lot of TLC goes into your triple shot americano and the Seattle by Foot coffee tour will give you an opportunity to become a java expert. Tickets are $30, all-inclusive.

8. Find something else in the U-District besides frat houses.

It is weird to think that only a couple miles from our super small school is a college campus with 40,000 students. The U-District is definitely targeted towards college kids so you will find cheap beer and great Thai food but there are a lot of non-”Ave” things to check out too. First and foremost, the Suzzallo Library on the UW campus is gorgeous and makes you feel like you are in a Harry Potter movie. Take the 49 from Pine & Broadway. Off of Montlake Boulevard you can reach the Arboretum which offers trails and a botanic garden (people take lots of engagement pictures there.) Best of all, the UW Waterfront Center has canoe rentals. Take the 43 from 12th & John or the 48 from 23rd & Madison to get to either of these.

Tag us in your pictures @hcseattleu if you finally cross one of these off of your Seattle bucket list!

I am a senior at Seattle University, studying both Communications and Spanish. My passions lie in fashion, social justice, writing, and editorial work. I am looking forward to being a Campus Correspondant with Her Campus, and can't wait to create a unique space online with the students of Seattle University.