photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

Thanksgiving Decorations Made Simple

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

Decorations for your thanksgiving dinner party are essential to the atmosphere that you want your party to convey during the meal. Thankfully, decorating doesn’t have to make a dent in your budget or take time away from preparing the delicious food. Here are some cheap and simple ideas to make your thanksgiving flourish!

Centerpiece:

Search around thrift stores for glass cylindrical vases or something similar. If you have clear vases lying around, that will work too. Make sure that the vases vary in size to give the look variety. You can fill the vases with virtually anything. Fill one with small pumpkins from the grocery store, fill one with popcorn kernels, and fill another with pinecones and maple leaves.

Finding fake fall leaves at a thrift store is cheap too. The even cheaper option is to go on a walk the day of thanksgiving and pick up a handful of leaves, but sometimes it can be hard to find dry and clean leaves to put on a table. Either way, in the center of your table, position the leaves in a flat, circular pile. (You could even glue the leaves to a piece of paper so that they don’t scatter while the table is being set.) Put all of your vases in the center of the leaves. Arrange some tea light candles and extra pinecones or pumpkins around the vases. Easy as pumpkin pie!

Coffee Table:

Make sure to decorate in the common area where your guests will be speaking with one another. On a coffee table or side table, you can set leftover wine or champagne bottles. You can leave the labels on or take them off and paint the bottles. Put long sticks with leaves or wheat stalks so that they stick out of the bottle. Position one or two on the coffee table with another tea light and you have the easiest fall ambiance!

Front Door:

This is the first thing your guests are going to see before they enter the gathering. Make sure that your home or apartment is welcoming and identifiable. Take a quick trip to a local patch or grocery store and pick up one or two pumpkins. Place them by the front door or on the steps of the porch. Paint something Thanksgiving related on them, like “be thankful” in script letters or even the last name of the hosts.

Another idea is to create a fall wreath to hang on the door. Here is a link to an adorable DIY burlap wreath.  

I'm Skyler. I go to Seattle University in hopes of earning a degree in Creative Writing. I love to discuss and write about LGBTQ politics, fashion, and I spend way too much time scrolling through Tumblr.