This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

As the days get longer and the weather gets warmer, you’ll head outdoors for your favorite summer activity. But as Washingtonians, its easy to forget the danger behind those seemingly friendly rays. Prolonged sun exposure is directly connected to increased risk of skin cancer, premature wrinkles and permanently blemished skin. Before soaking up the sun, check out these tips to stay safe this summer.

Slather Up

Apply the sunscreen at least 20 to 30 minutes before you go outdoors, whenever you will be exposed for 30 minutes or more. Also, you should reapply a generous amount of sunscreen every 3 hours. A skin-friendly option is Neutrogena’s Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch, which dry’s fast and won’t clog pores.

Cover Up

Areas that have already been burned are especially valuable to sun exposure. Keep those fried limbs safe in a cute cover-up, like this one from Forever 21

Drink Up

Make sure to stay hydrated during a long day at the beach, where you may be sweating, drinking alcohol, or playing a sport. Keep your thirsty skin happy by always bringing a water bottle with you before you leave the house.

We love fruit infused water! Such an easy summer DIY.

Fake It

Get your glow on the healthy way! Self-tanners are an increasingly popular way to achieve that perfect summer tan without risking your health. Many products now offer fast drying and gradual options that do away with unsightly orange streaks. Jergen’s Natural Glow tanner has long been a crowd pleaser for it’s subtle build up of color.

Whether your lounging by the pool, playing beach volleyball, or just running errands in the sun, don’t forget these easy tips. You may not realize it, but the long term effects of sun exposure are serious. So sunscreen up, your skin will thank you!

Visit out Pinterest page for more summer living tips.

Hannah Tyne is a sophmore at Seattle University. When she's not traveling the world, you can find her eating excessive amounts of Thai food, exploring her awesome city and hugging puppies. 
I am a senior at Seattle University, studying both Communications and Spanish. My passions lie in fashion, social justice, writing, and editorial work. I am looking forward to being a Campus Correspondant with Her Campus, and can't wait to create a unique space online with the students of Seattle University.