State of the Union Address 2015: A Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

The State of the Union Address, known by all to be one of the most important annually awaited presidential speeches, and known by some as The VMA’s of politics. There was no public roasting of Donald Trump, or Lion King attributed montages this year, but don’t worry 2015 had its moments.

Of course most importantly we have the memes and snapshots that come with every State of The Union Address:

First we have the lovely Speaker Boehner and his “not impressed face” also making striking resemblance to our beloved Christmas movie character, The Grinch

We also have Vice President Biden’s meme worthy presidential photobomb:

But memes aside, there were some news worthy addresses that were made that night as well.

Obama addressed the minimum wage and income gap crisis in the country by raising the question: “Will we accept an economy where only a few of us do spectacularly well? Or will we commit ourselves to an economy that generates rising incomes and chances for everyone who makes the effort?”

Another one of the most major parts of the night was Obama’s address pertaining to the cost and accessibility of college.  He stated he believed middle class was to mean “The idea that this country does best when everyone gets their fair shot, everyone does their fair share, and everyone plays by the same set of rules.” He continued by stating his plans to address the costs of college, retirement, healthcare, and childcare in the country. Obama enacted a plan to make the first two years of community college free for all part time and full time students who maintain above a 2.5 GPA, saying higher education “cannot be a privilege that is reserved for the few.”

In other college news, the Obama administration also plans to come out with their official college ranking system. The ranking system will be based on: affordability, accessibility, and the success of their students.

Journalism and Political Science Student at Seattle University
I am a senior at Seattle University, studying both Communications and Spanish. My passions lie in fashion, social justice, writing, and editorial work. I am looking forward to being a Campus Correspondant with Her Campus, and can't wait to create a unique space online with the students of Seattle University.