This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

As spring approaches and the weather gets warmer, most people begin to pack away their winter sweaters in order to make room in their closets for a fresh new array of shorts and tanks. While we all love a good crop top outfit, there’s no reason to bid adieu to your favorite winter sweater just yet. There are many creative ways to hold on to a chunky cardigan without overheating or looking like you’re trying to hibernate. Even with summer right around the corner, sweaters can remain staple items in your wardrobe if you keep a few important guidelines in mind.

1) Choose the right material. Wool, if perfect at keeping you warm during the winter months, will have you sweating in May. Stick to sweaters made from silk-blend or woven cotton for more breathable material.

2) Consider the fit. In hotter weather, a sweater that fits tightly will keep heat close to your body. Choose a looser fitting sweater that drapes rather than clings for a cooler, breezier silhouette. 

3) Go with a cropped sweater. The perfect partner to high wasited shorts, a cropped sweater is a cooler alternative to a full length, chunky cardigan. 

4) Think about the rest of the outfit. We all have that huge, soft sweater that makes you feel like you’re back in bed when you put it on. While you don’t have to retire it for spring and summer, think carefully about the pieces you pair it with in warmer weather. High waisted shorts or a sundress are options for balancing out a thicker sweater. 

Hang onto your cozy winter sweater for a little longer by pairing it with more summer-friendly pieces, like prints and florals! 

Hannah Tyne is a sophmore at Seattle University. When she's not traveling the world, you can find her eating excessive amounts of Thai food, exploring her awesome city and hugging puppies. 
I'm Skyler. I go to Seattle University in hopes of earning a degree in Creative Writing. I love to discuss and write about LGBTQ politics, fashion, and I spend way too much time scrolling through Tumblr.