To Shave or Not to Shave: The Hairy Question

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

Every girl remembers learning to shave her legs. Often times, our interest was peaked when a friend or two showed off their bare legs, declaring the trend a step toward fell-blown womanhood.

Years later, we have come to realize shaving our body hair is not in fact a law or rule required to be a real woman. Although it may feel like we must shave off our leg hair (especially with shorts season approaching) leaving it be is completely acceptable. Ignore sexist ads that insist hair is not womanly or will render you unworthy of love or affection. It was meant to be there, that’s why it grows!

So, if you’re feeling tired one summer evening in the shower and don’t have the energy to shave your legs, don’t be afraid to rock a pair of short shorts or a mini skirt with fuzzy legs!

While foregoing the razor can be liberating and timesaving, smooth, freshly shaved legs sure do feel nice! Just remember as you contemplate your summer beauty routine, that you have a choice: to shave or not to shave. You can do it all the time or just some of the time but the decision should always be yours.

When you do shave, remember these tips to get super soft legs and avoid hurting yourself:

1.     If you’re all out of shaving cream or don’t want to pay for another product, hair conditioner works really well for a smooth and close shave.

2.     When buying shaving supplies, consider a men’s brand as they tend to be less expensive and work just as well! You may miss out on the cute packaging or flowery smell but the price difference is well worth it!

3.     Use a loofa to apply shaving cream or conditioner to exfoliate your skin while prepping to shave.

4.     Use an alcohol-free lotion afterward to escape uncomfortable razor bumps.

Maddie is a junior at Seattle U, studying psychology and biology. She is an ever-growing social justice warrior, cat-lover, thrift shopper, avid hiker, and amateur cook.
I am a senior at Seattle University, studying both Communications and Spanish. My passions lie in fashion, social justice, writing, and editorial work. I am looking forward to being a Campus Correspondant with Her Campus, and can't wait to create a unique space online with the students of Seattle University.