This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to go see Ozuna in concert. Anyone who listens to his songs know that Ozuna is the definition of passion. Who knew that a trap singer could bring SO much raw emotion into a rap song? But that’s precisely what Latin people do! Puerto Rican born and raised, Juan Carlos Ozuna Rosado crafts his art in such a way that one of his albums can make you experience a whirlwind of emotions, from happiness all the way to despair. He allows you to feel his pain and man, oh man, if you take a single look at him you just might be wishing him to be the next man that breaks your heart! 

When I listen to music in Spanish it always takes me to a happy place, one that reminds me of my roots and the place where I feel most like myself. If a song can produce those kinds of nostalgic feelings, a concert full of people feels like a big family coming home for a celebration. That’s exactly the type of energy that was exuding from the venue that night. Looking up and down the aisles I saw people dancing (mostly booty poppin’), there were couples sharing intimate dances or friends singing and dancing to the music that was put on as we waited for him to come out. Like I expected, he was late, and I know we Latinos are late to everything but this was a different type of late; he was two hours late to his own concert! Even though this was a little frustrating, my friend and I were having so much fun together that we barely noticed. He and I actually felt like Ozuna had been late on purpose so he could build up the anticipation! Whether or not this was his mastermind plan, the moment he came out the audience went wild.  

His opener was epic. There were purple lights (a common lighting choice that night) since his album Aura is entirely colored in purple. The lights were blinking and shooting in all different directions which just elevated the energy in the room even more. He opened with his hit song “Unica” which is a song about a love interest– the most unique one he’s ever been with. It was the perfect hype up song to kick-off the concert since it’s rhythmic tones just make you want to dance with your friends all night long. Here’s a link to his new album Aura if you want to give it a listen: 

https://open.spotify.com/album/0SukGZiXMtmsZoxstkBtNR?si=vovi0W1kTp6f47t8ZEXT-Q

My favorite part of the concert was when he sang his song called “vaina loca”. In this song he talks about just liking one person and how no one else in the world makes you feel like this person does. These feelings come after you fall in love, they are addicting and make you feel like you are going insane. His velvety voice eased me into a memory of a lover who had made me feel just as he described: “Baby lo que yo quiero, vale más que el dinero, yo viajo el mundo entero, si es por ti no hay pero, siento que por ti desespero, cuando no te tengo más” Baby you’re what I want, you cost more than money can buy. I’ll travel the entire world for you, there are no but’s. I’m desperate, when I no longer have any more of you. Those evergreen feelings he describes are the ones you wish could last forever. 

The concert was exactly as I expected, with all the sounds that I love. He radiated and it definitely brought me into my full awakening. Ozuna unified an entire culture together that night in that venue. He made me feel like I was back home in Colombia getting ready for a night out with my girl friends. He reminded me of my family who is thousands of miles away from Seattle, who I don’t often get to see. He taught me that sometimes it’s okay to dance a little harder, and laugh a little longer when times aren’t the easiest and life is finding more ways to kick my butt. 

Overall the concert was really great, it was fun to step into an environment filled with a lot of Latin Americans from all different countries (Colombia, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Argentina, Chile, Nicaragua) etc… coming together to listen to an artist that really culminates the reggaeton/trap style music. With his distinct pop influence and a little bit of love, he is able to bring an entire crowd of rowdy but altogether joyful people through an unforgettable experience. 

Erica Bonilla

Seattle U '20

Erica. Reader. Writer. Musician. Dreamer.
Anna Petgrave

Seattle U '21

Anna Petgrave Major: English Creative Writing; Minor: Writing Studies Her Campus @ Seattle University Campus Correspondent and Senior Editor Anna Petgrave is passionate about learning and experiencing the world as much as she can. She has an insatiable itch to travel and connect with new and different people. She hopes one day to be a writer herself, but in the meantime she is chasing her dream of editing. Social justice, compassion, expression, and interpersonal understanding are merely a few of her passions--of which she is finding more and more every day.