How To Enjoy Your Period
How To Enjoy Your Period
Adebusola Abujade / Her Campus Media

Menstruation is NOT a Taboo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

Menstruation is a natural and biological process in women. Every month our body sheds its uterine lining, discarding blood and discharge. Why does our body do this? It’s preparation to receive a fertilized egg which would then lead to pregnancy. If no embryo is formed, then the thick uterine lining is no longer needed, thus it sheds off.

Growing up, I never felt uncomfortable talking about periods. My mom talked to me openly about them and educated me on how to maintain good hygiene. This isn’t always the case in South Asian households, so I found myself lucky. Later, when I began college and chose to study biology, I learned more specifically about what occurs in our bodies at a cellular level during this process. I found it extremely fascinating. It opened by eyes to how menstruation was a beautiful human process that shouldn’t be regarded as taboo. Rather, it’s something to be studied, understood, and celebrated by all.

However, one thing that I never understood and still don’t understand is why my mom skipped going to the mandir (temple) when she was on her period. Sometimes if we did go, and one of us was one our period, we simply weren’t allowed to go to the front and get the ashirwad (blessing) of the pandit (priest).

I remember asking my mom when I was younger why we did this. She told me that being on your period can come off as being “dirty” or “unholy.” What about menstruation makes it “dirty” or “unholy?” Half of the human race goes through it. I just couldn’t believe that the Gods that I believed in, including the female deities, would be dishonored if I decided to get ashirwad from the pandit while I was on my period. The Gods I believe in do not judge me for the natural processes of my body.

So I decided to do some research to determine if what my mom had told me was a common belief in the South Asian community. The results I found shocked me.

Hundreds of bans were filed stating women on their periods were not allowed to enter places of worship such as temples, mosques, and gurdwaras. For example, the Sabarimala Temple in the state of Kerala, India faced much controversy after banning all women aged 10 – 50 years old from entering. The reasoning behind these bans was that it wouldn’t be apparent if a woman was on her period or not. If she was, she would bring “impurity” into a sacred place of worship. One president of a Hindu temple stated that, “women will be allowed to enter only after a machine has been invented and installed to detect if they had their period.”  How can someone’s religion blind them to the discrimination behind this statement? Tradition should never be prioritized at the expense of another person’s rights.

I would like to believe that my faith in bhagwan (God) and my ties to my Hindu culture are strong. My faith has helped me overcome obstacles in my life and comforted me in my greatest times of need. However, that doesn’t mean that I will blindly agree with traditions and values that are morally wrong. Even if it means going against the general laws of Hinduism, I have been taught to stand up for what is right. These bans are wrong. They discriminate against women and their bodies for something that is not under anyone’s control. Do you not think that the Gods who created this world with us know that we menstruate? It is a natural part of life. It’s as natural as water traveling down a river or blood flowing towards a man’s penis. Do men get scrutinized for such things? Never. If a woman wants to go to a place of worship–on her period or not–it is her choice. Religion should not close its doors to anyone, especially not in regards to gender.

Even from a religious standpoint, nowhere in the Vedas, the ancient religious texts of Hinduism, does it mention that menstruation is considered an “impurity.” The stigma around menstruation has accumulated and been spread for many years, from one generation to the next, and it needs to end.

Thankfully, on September 28, 2018, India’s Supreme Court “lifted the temple’s ban on women of menstruating age holding that equality is supreme irrespective of age and gender.” (Unfortunately, the stigma around education and talk about menstruation is still high. It may no longer be expressed through direct bans, but talking about periods casually, in the open, is still very taboo, especially in more rural states in India. Women are still not allowed to enter puja (prayer) rooms or kitchens while on their period. So what can we do to stop this?

Education and talking about menstruation out in the open are key to breaking this stigma. Menstruation is not something that we as women need to be ashamed of, it should be celebrated. This taboo not only perpetuates discrimination against women, but also contributes to increased risk of infection and other health issues. We as women must advocate for all women! But it doesn’t stop there. Men also play an important role in this social stigmatization. Men can support women in managing menstruation simply by educating themselves on what menstruation is and listening to women on what their needs are during this time.

Advocacy doesn’t need to be complicated. It can be as simple as educating yourself and others on good hygienic menstrual practices, or going the extra mile and promoting social campaigns such as Menstrual Hygiene Day!

Menstrual Hygiene Day takes place on May 28 every year. It’s a global platform with the goal of educating on and advocating for good menstrual hygiene practices. They raise awareness of the stigma that is tied to menstruation and work with nonprofits and government agencies to spread their message to everyone. We need to break this stigma, and the only way to do it is through advocating and staying educated together.

Shivani is a 3rd year undergrad student pursuing a degree in Cell and Molecular Biology. Her first loves has always been reading and writing, both of which she started at a very young age. She enjoys writing pieces about personal situations and topics in her life that she feels will be helpful and applicable to others. Her dreams are to become a Family Medicine doctor and publish a book of her poetry.
Anna Petgrave

Seattle U '21

Anna Petgrave Major: English Creative Writing; Minor: Writing Studies Her Campus @ Seattle University Campus Correspondent and Senior Editor Anna Petgrave is passionate about learning and experiencing the world as much as she can. She has an insatiable itch to travel and connect with new and different people. She hopes one day to be a writer herself, but in the meantime she is chasing her dream of editing. Social justice, compassion, expression, and interpersonal understanding are merely a few of her passions--of which she is finding more and more every day.