Maggie Read: SEACer, Hiker, and Coloradan Extraordinaire

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

Name: Maggie Read

Year: Senior

Hometown: Westminster, Colorado

Major: History

Hobbies: Writing (mostly fiction), reading, playing the piano, and hiking in Colorado (especially during the summer)

Involvement: SEAC, liturgy at the Chapel of St. Ignatius, and helps with various retreats for Campus Ministry (including New Student Retreat and Search)

What has been your favorite part about being the president of SEAC?

My experience as SEAC president has been one of the most rewarding in my time at SU.  I have learned and grown so much in my leadership and my connections across campus through this role.  As president, I get to sort of preside over all of council – I can step in when I’m really needed. But the coolest part is seeing the rest of council succeed and grow and learn over the course of the year. 

What is one of the best memories you have had here at Seattle University?

It’s hard to pick just one! Quadstock 2013 was one of my favorite SEAC events that I have worked on. We had a great lineup and everyone had a really fun time – I was able to really enjoy the event even as I was working! I was really proud to be a part of it.

I also had the privilege of attending the National Jesuit Student Leadership Conference (NJSLC) in Santa Clara, California last summer with Eric Chalmers, Lauren Maza and Nichole Abbey. We met other student leaders from around the country and came away with a lot of great ideas to work on and improve our own campus.

What are your plans for the summer?

This summer, I’ll be going back to Colorado where I will enjoy the dry sunshine and hopefully go hiking a lot. My favorite part of summer in Colorado is Film on the Rocks, a weekly event at Red Rocks Amphitheatre where a band performs and they play a movie after the sun goes down. It’s been a summer tradition for me since high school.

What is one piece of advice you could give to other students?

My advice comes in two pieces – get involved and try a lot of activities.  In my mind, these go hand in hand.  Only so much of college can be defined in the classroom – getting involved on campus can really impact your experience too! In getting involved, I recommend trying out different groups and clubs in order to find the best fit. I transferred to SU in the middle of my sophomore year and getting involved right away helped ease my transition to a new environment. Filling out my application for SEAC was one of the best choices I made after coming to SU.

Hey, hi, hello! My name is April and contrary to belief, I was not born in April—but that's okay. I enjoy (many) cups of coffee, '80s romcoms, and film photography. I write about things that I care about, so hopefully you find some interest in them as well.
I am a senior at Seattle University, studying both Communications and Spanish. My passions lie in fashion, social justice, writing, and editorial work. I am looking forward to being a Campus Correspondant with Her Campus, and can't wait to create a unique space online with the students of Seattle University.