sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Hot Spots of Rainy Seattle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

Whether you’re from Seattle or not, everyone I’ve ever met has asked me at least once, “What is there to do in Seattle?” While it seems like an answer would be readily available in such a bustling, vibrant city, I realized that I needed to do some digging to really answer that question. So for all of your city needs, here’s a list of Seattle’s fun places to explore–in characteristic rain or shine.

Cal Anderson Park

Any Seattle University who has bothered to take a walk off campus has inevitably stumbled upon Cal Anderson, a lovely rectangular park three or four blocks off campus, tucked right behind Broadway. The park has a baseball field, a skate park, a basketball court, a fountain, and an area where dogs are often running around and tumbling over each other. Get hungry when you’re out there? Don’t sweat it–Dick’s Drive In is only a five minute walk away.

Laser Shows at the Pacific Science Center

This one requires a touch more planning, but if one night on a Thursday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday you find yourself at a loss of what to do or want a little excitement, make your way down to the Seattle Center. At less than $15 a ticket for about an hour of laser magic to a soundtrack of your choosing (check the website for different times and music), it’s hard to make an excuse not to go. Go with a date, go with your friends, or go alone–it’s sure to be a good time!

Golden Gardens

While not exactly what I would call “within walking distance”, Golden Gardens is a fun, beautiful stretch of sandy beach open all hours. Check it out for sunset, have a bonfire with friends, or park your car at night to admire the view under the starry sky. It’s a wonderful location for some killer photos, too.

Seattle Antiques Market

I found this gem one day as I was walking from Pike Place Market (which I’m not including in this list because it’s the first name you’ll hear if you ask anyone) to the Pier. As a lover of old things (I have two polaroid cameras, a record player, and an old typewriter), this shop immediately called to me. It’s filled with old magazines, furniture, clothing, records, and other trinkets. Even if you don’t want to buy any of those things, it’s worth a look around. Maybe you’ll find some fun little Christmas presents there!

Gas Works Park

As a little girl, my dad used to take my sisters and me out to this park to look at the city and fly kites on windy days. Going back as a young adult, it’s just as much of a delight. The complex design of the piping, the structures, and the unbeatable view of Seattle across the water all come together to make for some wonderful sightseeing and photo opportunities!

Goodwill Outlet

For all of my thrifting fans, this is the spot. This Goodwill outlet in SoDo, right near CenturyLink Stadium, is a little different from other Goodwill stores; all of their donations are presented in large bins. The warehouse setting and seeming lack of organization can make this location daunting at first, but if you arrive prepared with gloves and a back to hold all of your goodies, the journey of “dumpster diving” can make the experience more involved. For textiles, you pay for your purchase by the pound! To give you some perspective, I tend to walk away with a garbage bag full of clothing, paying only around $20. Back home, any items you decide you don’t want, you can just donate back and it’s not a big deal because at most, you only really paid a few dollars for it. Whether you’re looking for a little upgrade to your wardrobe, looking for cheap fabric to experiment with, or trying to stock your closet for the coming season, this is the place to go to keep within your budget. Just make sure you wash all of your clothes first!

Anna Petgrave

Seattle U '21

Anna Petgrave Major: English Creative Writing; Minor: Writing Studies Her Campus @ Seattle University Campus Correspondent and Senior Editor Anna Petgrave is passionate about learning and experiencing the world as much as she can. She has an insatiable itch to travel and connect with new and different people. She hopes one day to be a writer herself, but in the meantime she is chasing her dream of editing. Social justice, compassion, expression, and interpersonal understanding are merely a few of her passions--of which she is finding more and more every day.