This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

All over the news, you may have seen pop singer Ke$ha (who is known for her fun and catchy pop songs like “TiK ToK“) is in an intense legal battle with Producer Dr. Luke. Kesha claims that Dr. Luke sexually, physically, and emotionally abused her for almost a decade while they produced together. She recounted times where she had woken up sore after given “sober pills.” It is important to understand that the charges she filed were civil, not criminal. This means that she is not trying to send Dr. Luke to jail for his crimes; she is just trying to get out of her contract and away from the abuse.

About a week ago, a New York judge denied Kesha a court injunction that would have allowed Kesha to get out of her contract. Instead of allowing Kesha to live free of her abuser, she is now being forced to finish her contract, which includes creating 6 more albums with Dr. Luke. Dr. Luke still claims his innocence and his mother even believes that Kesha is trying to blackmail and extort him.  

Many celebrities, such as Lorde, Demi Lovato, Lady Gaga, Calvin Harris, and Mariska Hargitay have come out in support of Kesha during this difficult time. Taylor Swift even generously donated $250,000 to her cause.

Unfortunately, Kesha’s case is just another example of how rape and abuse survivors are treated in the court system. Even when they are brave enough to speak out against their attackers and look to the law as they are told, they are shot down and ignored. Kesha was not trying to send Dr. Luke to jail, as I stated before, she only wanted to be free from the constant abuse. The good news is that the New York courts have not yet dropped her case, and there is still a chance for Kesha’s lawyers to appeal the verdict. There is still hope for Kesha to get out of her contract, and we truly hope she does.

If you want to show your support for Kesha, join the conversation by tweeting the hastag #freekesha. We hope that her influence in the media will raise awareness of the struggles that victims of sexual abuse (or otherwise) go through to be free of their abusers. 

If you or anyone you know have been victims of sexual violence, contact CAPS, HAWC, the Student Health Center, or any other on campus resources that SU offers for support. 

Article by Katie Adams

I'm Skyler. I go to Seattle University in hopes of earning a degree in Creative Writing. I love to discuss and write about LGBTQ politics, fashion, and I spend way too much time scrolling through Tumblr.