Earth Day for Seattleites

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

Each year, Earth Day, April 22, marks the anniversary of what many consider the birth of the modern environmental movement. Beginning in 1970, at the height of hippie and flower-child culture in the United States, Gaylord Nelson founded Earth Day as a means to promote environmental protection. Nelson created the holiday, however, after introducing the concept of Earth Day at a conference in Seattle the year before its founding.

Since the founding of Earth Day, Seattle has fully committed to sustainable living. According to the Seattle Office of Sustainability and Environment, “Seattle leads the nation in innovative solutions to environmental challenges.”  

Be proud to be a Seattleite this Earth Day! Join in on one or all of the following festivities around the city to give back to the planet and celebrate Seattle’s long-standing history with Earth Day.

Capitol Hill:

Free Bullitt Center Tour

Who: The Bullitt Center

What:  See the world’s most sustainable building- its rainwater treatment centers, no-flush toilets, and electrical rooms-  up close!  

When: April 22, 2014, 11am

Where: The Bullitt Center

U District:

Who: University of Washington

What: Engage in fashion shows, open-mics, educational seminars, and much more!

When: April 22, 2014

Where: University of Washington, Seattle

East Seattle:

NW Green Home Tour- Highland Park: A Gathering Place Goes Green

Who: Sustainable Seattle, RainWIse, Stewardship Partners and Highland Park Improvement Club (HPIC)

What: End Earth Week by visiting the Sustainability Stop at HPIC, a neighborhood gathering place we have been transforming with green infrastructure since 2012.  Visitors will enjoy food, fun learning activities, and the chance to design their own rain gardens and meet the RainWise contractors who installed large cisterns, two rain gardens, and a permeable paver courtyard.When: April 26, 11am – 5pm

Where: 1116 SW Holden St 98106

North Seattle:

Golden Gardens Beach Clean UpWho: City of Seattle – Department of Parks and Recreation

What: Help keep one of Seattle’s favorite parks litter free while enjoying a day at beautiful Golden Gardens. Meet other Seattleites and Earth lovers!

When: April 22, 1-4 pm

Where: Golden Gardens Park

More Earth Day Fun: 

-Enjoy the great outdoors Seattle has to offer! Visit Every Trail to check out Seattle’s most famous hiking trails and destinations. 

-Feelin’ crafty? Head over to Pinterest and check out some of their DIY crafts. The more you DIY, the more you recycle, reuse, and reduce…a perfect Earth Day activity. 

I am a senior at Seattle University, studying both Communications and Spanish. My passions lie in fashion, social justice, writing, and editorial work. I am looking forward to being a Campus Correspondant with Her Campus, and can't wait to create a unique space online with the students of Seattle University.