Conrad’s The Little Market Celebrates Anniversary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

From the affluent hills of LA to impoverished communities around the world, Lauren Conrad transitions from reality star to world change agent. Co-founder of The Little Market alongside Hannah Skvarla, Conrad has combined her passions for design, travel, and social justice to develop a non-profit dedicated to empowering women and children around the world.

“We created The Little Market to give artisans the opportunity to reach a broader audience and to give you the opportunity to purchase special pieces while directly supporting the artisans who made them. Each product you find here was responsibly crafted with integrity and pride, while providing an income for local artisans to care for themselves and their families,” states Skvarla and Conrad on The Little Market website.

For Conrad and Skvarla it is more than just the chic jewelry and modern home décor (although they are pretty great too!); it is about connecting citizens around the world with handmade goods ethically sourced from artisans in developing countries. Skvarla shares about the type of impact they are making in an interview with the LA times, “We are currently working with 17 artisan group in 13 countries. Our artisan partners employ over 10,000 artisans all over the world. On our recent trip to Guatemala, many of the women artisans work from their homes to generate income to support their families. One woman we spoke with told us that the sales of the bracelets were allowing her to send her children to school; it would be the first generation in her family in graduate high school.”

Want to join their efforts in empowering women around the world? Simply chose to shop at The Little Market this holiday season – from hand-woven beanies to beautifully pattern throws- The Little Market goods are sure to make a statement.

I am a senior at Seattle University, studying both Communications and Spanish. My passions lie in fashion, social justice, writing, and editorial work. I am looking forward to being a Campus Correspondant with Her Campus, and can't wait to create a unique space online with the students of Seattle University.