Campus Celebrity: Eric Sype

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

A few awesome things to know about Eric Sype

As a new year begins, student body president Eric Sype shares his top insights and pieces of wisdom.

Name: Eric Sype

Year: Senior

Hometown: Cashmere, Washington

Major: Humanties for teaching, Spanish minor

He’s active in campus clubs

Through student government I’ve been able to see all the different student clubs Seattle Univesrity offers. It has led me to believe that there really is a place for every student. I’m a peer advisor at Mateo Ricci college, and a leader for New Student Retreat, and involved in Dance Marathon and Red Zone.

He leads by empowering- at home and abroad

This was the most amazing experience of my life. I was an intern for an NGO that works on the pacific coast of Nicaragua and I helped start a bike rental company with a group of teenagers to fund scholarships for them. My entire platform for SGSU was based around that experience, my slogan was “Leading by Empowering”.

He’s thankful to be here

Its important to remember that as someone living in the United States with the opportunity to get a college education, that we are one of the most privileged individuals in the world. We also have the unique opportunity to cultivate our minds in a way many people are not able to do. I would also add that while its great to dive into your studies, its important to understand that the majority of your education is going to be outside the classroom. There are so many opportunities to enhance your experience beside the credits you take. 

Hannah Tyne is a sophmore at Seattle University. When she's not traveling the world, you can find her eating excessive amounts of Thai food, exploring her awesome city and hugging puppies.