This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

With V-Day around the corner, we thought some of television’s best same-sex couples needed a little love. Whether they play surgeons, prison inmates, high schoolers, or parents, these characters show mainstream audiences (who might be narrow-minded) both the struggles LGBT+ members can face and the ordinary, natural love that occurs in all relationships. 

Callie/Arizona

One of our favorite Shonda Rhimes creations is couple Calliope Torrez and Arizona Robins. These two have been through literally everything (Grey’s is not known for its boring season finales). And despite wherever they end up as the seasons progress, Rhimes’ portrayal of their journey as a couple, experimenting, getting married, parenting, dealing with death and cheating, makes them relatable and happy-cry worthy. Love them. 

Kurt/Blaine

Kurt Hummel of Glee has journeyed out of the closet, to dating a girl, to crushing on his step-brother, and finally, into the arms of Blaine Anderson. Despite the recent rockiness of their relationship, the singing duo helped each other through the terrors of high school and bullying, role modeling for teens that it gets better and to stay true to yourself.  

Shane/Carmen 

Shane McCutcheon and Carmen de la Pica Morales are the couple that fans of The L Word will never forget. Even though their journey was cut short, Shane and Carmen were perfect for each other. Carmen was the first woman that could manage to reel Shane in from her self-deprecating and toxic lifestyle. We just wish that Shane would have fought harder for Carmen in the end instead of running the opposite direction!

Emily/Naomi 

Accepting their sexuality and the fear of getting hurt were two big hurtles this couple dealt with in their relationship. These two of Skins are very relatable, with Naomi’s fiery personality and fears of falling in love, and Emily’s trouble in coming out to her family. Naomi’s speech in the season 4 finale was heartbreaking (don’t tell me you didn’t tear up), and makes her fate in Skins: Fire so much sadder. If only they’d had more time. 

Piper/Alex

Alex Vause and Piper Chapman may just be the lesbian power-couple of the century. After college, innocent and upper-class Piper Chapman is looking for a job when she meets the edgy Alex Vause at a bar. While Piper has never been in a relationship with a girl before, her and Alex have an instant connection and she quickly falls in love. In fact, she falls so deeply in love that she overlooks the fact that Alex internationally smuggles drugs for a living. When Piper lands in prison for a one time drug deal, Alex happens to be there as well. The women’s prison setting of Orange is the New Black and their fiery history make Piper and Alex one of TV’s best couples.

Mitchell/Cam

These are two of the funniest dads on television. Their opposite personalities balance each other out and produce some of the most quotable lines in the show. Mitchell and Cam of Modern Family portray an authentic same-sex relationship and show mainstream audiences that there are commonalities in any form of married couple.  

Honorable Mentions:

Santana/Britney 

Stanford/Anthony

Willow/Tara 

Korra/Asami

Avalon is a sophomore at SU, originally from the Bay Area. Likes include X-Files, breakfast, writing, and art pens. 
Aspiring journalist. New Haven, CT / Seattle, WA 
I'm Skyler. I go to Seattle University in hopes of earning a degree in Creative Writing. I love to discuss and write about LGBTQ politics, fashion, and I spend way too much time scrolling through Tumblr.
I am a senior at Seattle University, studying both Communications and Spanish. My passions lie in fashion, social justice, writing, and editorial work. I am looking forward to being a Campus Correspondant with Her Campus, and can't wait to create a unique space online with the students of Seattle University.