7 Things to Do in Sunny Seattle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

When you live in a city that only sees about 58 days of sun during the entire year, you should use that limited time in the best ways possible. Grab your sunglasses and hit the city!

Here’s a list of 7 fun things to do in sunny Seattle:

1.   Take a trip to Pike Place Market

Sure, it’s a major tourist attraction, but Pike Place Market is still the perfect place to walk around and enjoy the sun. It’s fun to see what local vendors are selling every week, and the fresh flowers are always beautiful to look at. Sit on the green and look out at the Puget Sound! 

2.     Grab a book and read at a park

Take a trip to the Elliot Bay Book Company, pick up a book, and enjoy at one of Seattle’s many parks. Some of my personal favorites include Cal Anderson, Volunteer Park, Gasworks, and Kerry Park (Bonus: VolunteerGasworks and Kerry Park all have beautiful views of the city!). 

3.     Enjoy some ice cream from Molly Moons

This local chain has six locations throughout Seattle, so it shouldn’t be hard to find one of their stores (one of which is a five minute walk from campus)! Their ice cream is all homemade, and although they have plenty of the classics, they also have some creative flavors such as Honey Lavender and Earl Grey. My go-to flavor is Salted Caramel – it’s the perfect mix of sweet and salty! You can never pick a wrong flavor of ice cream from Molly Moons.  Head over to Cal Anderson after to enjoy your sweet treat in the sun! 

4.     Ride the Bainbridge Ferry

The ride from Seattle to Bainbridge Island by ferry holds some of the best views of the city. There’s something calming about crossing the open waters of the Puget Sound on a beautiful day. Take your friends along and enjoy the ride! Every Saturday, Bainbridge has a great farmers market. Make sure to visit Bainbridge on a sunny Saturday! 

5.     See the famous cherry blossoms at the University of Washington

One of my absolute favorite things to go see during the spring time are the cherry blossoms at UW’s quad. UW has a huge campus, but I love getting lost within the cherry trees and being surrounded by the old, gothic style buildings. We love Seattle U’s quad, but this one’s got cherry trees to die for. Head over to “the ave” after for killer thrift shopping. 

6.     Attend a Mariners or Sounders game

Seattle sports fans have been in a constant state of euphoria since the big Super Bowl win back in February, and it looks our baseball and soccer teams are going to have some great seasons as well. The atmosphere in a professional sports stadium is indescribable, and the intense excitement that comes while watching two teams battle it out is something that everyone should experience. Take a trip to Safeco or CenturyLink field and show some Seattle pride!

7. Hit the beach!

I know, I know. Seattle doesn’t have the kind of sandy beaches that you’ll find in Mexico or California. Our beaches are still beautiful in their own ways, and they’re fun to spend time at! There’s Alki BeachDiscovery Park, and Golden Gardens Park to name a few. Seattle’s beaches are definitely a place to relax and unwind, either by yourself or with friends. Bonfire pits are a great way to spend time at these beaches, even after dark. 

Even though Seattle is infamous for rain, the sun sure does come out! We hope that this list helps you look forward to the next beautiful day that comes along. Regardless of how you choose to spend your sunny day in Seattle, just be… 

Kathleen Erin

Seattle U '17

-
I am a senior at Seattle University, studying both Communications and Spanish. My passions lie in fashion, social justice, writing, and editorial work. I am looking forward to being a Campus Correspondant with Her Campus, and can't wait to create a unique space online with the students of Seattle University.