Money 29 micheile henderson ZVprbBmT8QA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Money 29 micheile henderson ZVprbBmT8QA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

6 Ways to Go Green While Saving Green

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

With the school year starting up, everyone is going back to school shopping for school supplies, houseware, dorm essentials, and more. Along with those essential items comes plenty of plastic packaging and single-use utensils that fill up our already overflowing landfills and drain our bank accounts, already depleted from student loans and textbooks. Here are six ways to help the environment without breaking the bank.

1. Wash Your Clothes Using Cold Water

If you’re still washing all your laundry with warm to hot water, you could be using significantly less energy by switching to cold water. For one load of laundry, heating the water takes up 90% of the energy used that cycle. Saving energy can also save you money on your energy bill if you live on your own. Aside from the energy benefits, washing in cold water preserves the colors and shape of your clothes. Just be aware that especially dirty clothes (like workout clothes and bedding) may need a pre-rinse or warm water to sanitize.

1. Buy a Reusable Water Bottle

Keeping hydrated is extremely important, but so is cutting down single-use plastic consumption in this country. Reusable water bottles can save you up to $260 a year that would otherwise be spent on bottled water. Seattle University does not sell bottled water, so you need a water bottle to refill at one of the free water filling stations if you want to stay hydrated. Luckily there are plenty of options under $10 available at places like Target and Walmart. Plus, you can personalize your bottle with stickers, which makes for a perfect conversation starter in your new classes!

1. Go Thrift Shopping

When I first went to college, the transition from warm and sunny Los Angeles to cold and overcast Seattle meant I had to get quite a few jackets and pants. Instead of draining my bank account for one jacket, I was able to get several for the same price by shopping secondhand. Thrift stores offer quality clothing that you couldn’t find at a fast fashion store and help keep textiles out of landfills. Of course, you’ll also have one-of-a-kind pieces to add to your OOTD posts on Instagram. Some great thrift stores around Seattle University’s campus include Lifelong, Crossroads, Out of the Closet, and Goodwill.

1. Organize Digitally

Being in college means being on the go, and carrying around a heavy backpack is neither fun nor safe for your back. Instead of doing everything on paper, consider taking it digital. There are hundreds of apps to choose from to help you take notes, plan your week and keep track of your grocery list. Not only does this help reduce paper consumption, but it also keeps everything you need in one place. Try out applications such as Google Drive, Evernote, and others that allow you to access your documents from any device; now you can type your notes on your laptop and access them on your phone for on-the-go studying.

1. Take Public Transportation

For many high school students, getting a car is a significant moment of independence. In college, this independence comes with a hefty price tag. The cost of on-campus parking, car insurance, upkeep, and gasoline quickly add up in a college student’s budget. Taking public transportation eliminates these costs, and as public buses move towards light rails and hybrid electric buses, it eliminates your carbon footprint. Your commute is then also free for you to study, read, or catch up on social media. Check with your school to see if they have special deals for public transport fares. Seattle University offers subsidized ORCA transit passes through Transportation and Parking Services.

1. Share With Others

One of the best things about college is the community of people around you. You have people in your classes, in your dorm hall, and in your clubs and organizations. Borrowing and letting others borrow from you prevents unnecessary purchases that are only used once and then discarded. It also helps build community, and the more people somebody can rely on, the better.

There are many more ways to save money and go green, but these six suggestions are of little to no cost and can be enacted immediately. After all, reducing our impact and saving the earth for a cleaner, greener future is priceless.

Alexandra is a sophomore at Seattle University who is studying psychology and women and gender studies. She enjoys discussing environmental rights, music, and her beautiful golden retriever, Leo.
Anna Petgrave

Seattle U '21

Anna Petgrave Major: English Creative Writing; Minor: Writing Studies Her Campus @ Seattle University Campus Correspondent and Senior Editor Anna Petgrave is passionate about learning and experiencing the world as much as she can. She has an insatiable itch to travel and connect with new and different people. She hopes one day to be a writer herself, but in the meantime she is chasing her dream of editing. Social justice, compassion, expression, and interpersonal understanding are merely a few of her passions--of which she is finding more and more every day.