bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Why You Need Blue Light Blocking Glasses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

As college students, we spend a LOT of time in front of screens. Whether that be scrolling on your phone, finishing an essay on your computer, or winding down watching TV before bed; all the lights on those screens affect us.

Blue light is a wavelength that is emitted through cell phones, computer screens, and televisions. It can be beneficial to us during the day as the wavelength can boost our energy, attention, reaction, times, and moods. However, if we are exposed to too much blue light, it can start to affect our health. Because the blue light stimulates your brain, if we are looking at a screen before we go to bed, our brain is stimulated and awake right before you need to sleep. This will not only keep you awake but research has found that if we are too exposed to blue light, it can cause your eyes to strain which can cause permanent damage.

The risk of blue light can be permanent but there is an easy fix! Blue light blocking glasses have become more and more popular. Blue light blocking glasses filter the amount of blue light that gets to your eyes, protecting you from continual strain and damage. But these glasses have a lot of other benefit including reduction of computer glare, easing eye strain, blocking 100% of UV light, and reducing color and image distortion. You can even order a pair of blue light blocking glasses that have your prescription if needed.

Blue light blocking glasses come in all sorts of styles, colors, and they vary based on your price range too! Most glasses range anywhere from $17 to $100, so as you can see there’s a huge range of prices for every budget out there. iMore rated some of the best brands for Blue Light Glasses as: ANRRI, LifeArt, Blokz, Klim Blue, THL, Aspectus, Biofusion, Cyxus, and Diff. A lot of these brands you can easily order on Amazon for a very low price. Defend your sleep and order a pair of Blue Light Glasses!

References

“Are Blue Light Glasses Right for You?” Are Blue Light Glasses Right For You? | Pixel Blue Blocking Glasses, Pixel, www.pixeleyewear.com/pages/blue-light-glasses.

Freeman, Karen S. “Best Computer Glasses with a Blue Light Filter.” IMore, Mobile Nations, 3 Jan. 2019, www.imore.com/best-computer-glasses-blue-light-filter.

Harvard Health Publishing. “Blue Light Has a Dark Side.” Harvard Health, Harvard Health Publishing, 13 Aug. 2018, www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/blue-light-has-a-dark-side.

Megan is a writer at Her Campus SDSU. She is currently studying Communications and is hoping to go into Public Relations. When she is not studying or writing she is thinking of her dog, Hope, back home in Simi Valley, California. Her hobbies include spending time hiking and at the beach, shopping for the best sales, bubble baths, and riding her bike. Some of her favorite things are Birkenstocks, pajama sets, dogs, dessert, and traveling. Her favorite cities are Bruges, Stockholm, Pompeii, and Saint Martin.
Emily is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus SDSU. She is a 4th year journalism student from Chicago, IL. At SDSU, she is in Kappa Delta, is the Social Media Director of Rho Lambda and the Vice President Membership of Order of Omega. Emily's favorite hobbies are dancing, online shopping, planning out her Instagram feed, blogging and going to Disneyland. On a daily basis, you can find her glued to her laptop writing blog posts and editing Youtube videos. In the future, she wants to work for the Walt Disney Company on their social media marketing and communications corporate team. Emily's strong passion for digital media & content creation makes her very proud to be a member of the Her Campus team!