Valentine’s Day: Show Your Love Right

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

Valentine’s Day: the world’s most commercialized holiday. For those of us who have a special someone in our lives, Valentine’s Day can be exciting, but also stressful. As we all know boys are so hard to shop for. And what exactly do you get a guy for Valentine’s Day anyways? Chocolates are too cliché and flowers seem a little awkward for someone who prides themself in being macho.

And then of course, there’s the other side of the coin. For those of us who are too consumed with our studies or just have yet to find that one special person who makes our hearts beat faster and slower at the same time, Valentine’s Day becomes a dread. As if seeing happy couples holding hands and locking lips between classes isn’t bad enough, all the commercials on TV are about flowers, jewelry, and other lavish gifts that remind us yet again that we are single and give us a predestined feeling of being forever alone.

But have no fear!  You don’t have to be in a relationship in order to make your Valentine’s Day special this year. Whether you’re dating someone or you’re single, here are some fun and affordable things to brighten up your day of love.

Go out to dinner. Everybody has to eat so grab your boyfriend, best guy friend, your girlfriends, or even your family and head out for a nice dinner (maybe even get a little dressed up). Use it as an excuse to change out of your usual college attire of walking shoes, leggings, and comfy sweaters and into a cute dress. Of course, have a plan before you go out and most definitely have a budget (that’s super important for us “broke college students!”). If you plan to go somewhere like The Cheesecake Factory, order a few dishes to share and have everyone split the check. If you go online beforehand, many restaurants have coupons or special offers you can print out to save you a few bucks, like BJ’s. Right now they have a special “dinner for two” offer, which includes salad, pizza, and their world famous pizookies (yum!) for only $19.95! While you’re at it, if you absolutely love the restaurant, why not sign up for their mailing list so you can have sweet deals coming into your inbox all the time.

For the ladies who are going out with their man, don’t be stingy. I know we all have high expectations for Valentine’s Day but remember he’s not made of money either, so offer to pay for dinner or at the very least split the bill. Even if he refuses (and he will), it’s still a nice gesture and I’m sure he’ll appreciate it.

Watch a movie. With so many AMC theaters close to the campus, movies are the way to go for entertainment. My must see movie for Valentine’s Day?  The Vow, coming to theaters on February 10th, starring Channing Tatum and Rachel McAdams. It’s a dramatic love story about a young woman named Paige (Rachel McAdams) who falls into a coma after a tragic car accident. She awakes with a severe memory loss and her husband Leo (Channing Tatum) must work to win her heart again. This film has a great cast (I love Rachel McAdams and Channing Tatum’s sexiness definitely doesn’t hurt either) and already proves to be a tearjerker with its touching previews (I bawled like a baby!). Save a few bucks before you go and purchase your movie tickets for only $8.50 on campus at the ticket office located next to Viejas.

If going out isn’t for you, stay in with some friends and make it a girl’s night! Have everyone bring snacks to your dorm or to one of the many rec/lounge rooms in the different residence halls. Rent some movies from the RedBox located next to the 7- Eleven (by College Square) on campus and you’re good to go.

Make your own gifts. Get crafty this year and make your gifts. Fun little coupon books or a scrapbook full of memories are the perfect gifts for your guy without having to drop big bucks. Try looking on Pinterest for your crafting inspiration (we all know that’s what you’re doing anyways in those boring large lectures). If you don’t have a boyfriend, you don’t have to miss out on Valentine gifting. Stop by Target and buy a pack of Valentines to give your friends or to just slip under the doors on your floor. I’m sure someone will appreciate it. Go crazy and get those fun Valentine’s with tattoos and candy that you used to love handing out in elementary school. And hey while you’re at it, get yourself a little something nice. After all, you deserve it with all the hard work you’ve been putting into your classes.

Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to mean spending a lot of money, having exceedingly high expectations, or moping around in your room with a big tub of ice cream. Make your Valentine’s Day fun and surround yourself with people you love and people who love you.

Jazmine is a freshman at San Diego State University in beautiful SO Cal. With plans to major in Communication and double minor in public relations as well as TFM (Television, Film, and New Media), she deeply enjoys reading, writing, and getting to know people around campus. As the founder and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus SDSU, her hopes are high and she is confident the branch will be a wonderful success. While in her first year of college, she is learning how to be more involved around campus while maintaining her studies. After spending a few childhood years living in Europe and traveling internationally, Jazmine has a passion for learning about different cultures from all over the world, especially the different foods! Future plans? She intends to have a career in media, preferably at a fashion magazine, such as Seventeen, or work with a popular television network such as OWN. In her free time she enjoys being with friends, reading, photography, Sunday church, learning how to play the ukulele, organizing things, and spending hours in the beauty department at almost any store.