READING REVIEWS: A Whole Lot of Romance…My March Reading Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

A Whole Lot of Romance… My March Reading Recap 

Hello! Welcome back to HC SDSU’s reading column, where we dive into everything book-related – from book reviews to author spotlights. I’m Kaela, the lead writer for this  specific column. For today’s article, I will be doing my March reading recap!  

I will admit that I have been in a bit of a reading slump due to busy scheduling. However, over spring break, I had the chance to finally pick up a few books I’ve been wanting to read for awhile. Like always, reviews like this are subjective/opinion-based. If you have any future recommendations, want to talk about an article posted, etc, feel free to reach out via social media! Without further ado, here is everything I read in March:

1. The Love Hypothesis 

Author: Ali Hazelwood

Rating: 5/5

Summary: As an earnest Stanford PhD student, Olive Smith is on her way to finish her research, romance-free. That is, until she (kind-of) accidentally kisses Adam Carlsen, a faculty member at the university known for his stand-offish and strict personality. But because she must prove to her best friend that she is in a relationship, she somehow manages Adam to agree to a fake-dating relationship. 

Link to buy: https://tinyurl.com/ym8x4mct 

I absolutely loved this. Something about these fake-dating/hurt comfort tropes always get me. While the book has its flaws – super unrealistic instances where the pair must engage in PDA, fake-dating in general–…, I think that can be expected from any romance book. So, while you may need to suspend some of your beliefs for a bit, I think this is quite the perfect book for your “I want to get away from reality, let me read something fluffy and obnoxiously cute” moments. 

2. Punk 57 

Author: Penelope Douglas

Rating: 2.5/5

Summary: Due to a penpal program that paired them in grade school, Misha and Ryen have only ever known each other through paper exchanges. Despite being extremely close, the two have never met. However, due to an accident, Misha stops writing letters. He ends up enrolling in Ryen’s school, under a fake name, Masen, where does not intend to interfere with her. That is, until he notices that Ryen will do anything to maintain popularity – a far cry from the Ryen he’s known from the letters. Angry, he plans on humiliating Ryen… which of course, doesn’t always go as planned.  

Link to buy: https://tinyurl.com/362hz22t 

Despite the intriguing friends(?)-to-enemies-to-lovers plotline, I happened to find the two main characters extremely annoying. Misha definitely fulfills the stereotypical “tormenting bully, turned lover” character that I thought we left behind in 2014 Wattpad. Ryen, on the other hand, has pockets of unexpected change in character. By this, I am referencing a few scenes that completely turned me off. You definitely don’t need to like the characters to enjoy a book. But, in a romance novel, I’d expect to at least enjoy their presence. Even then, the premise of the book felt unrealistic, since it is set in high school. While definitely entertaining, it’s just not my cup of tea. 

3. People We Meet on Vacation 

Author: Emily Henry

Rating: 4.5/5 

Summary: Alex and Poppy are the most unlikely pair of best friends. Where Poppy is spontaneous and carefree, Alex is straightforward and traditional. Despite their differences, the two have embarked on vacations every single summer as a college-old tradition. But… that was two years ago. Now stuck in a career and emotional rut, Poppy feels stuck. When asked the last time she felt truly happy, she realizes that it was on that ill-fated summer trip two years ago, with Alex. Poppy decides to ask him to go on one more trip with her. Miraculously, he agrees and the pair have one week to fix what went wrong two summers ago. 

Link to buy: https://tinyurl.com/2p9x6am4 

This was such a cute, lovely story. I admit that I usually wouldn’t pick up a book like this, since the summary seems very straightforward (ie. typical miscommunication, friends-to-lovers, etc). However, the structure, characters and their long lasting friendship made this feel a warm hug. I definitely think this is on the road to becoming a classic romance novel, it was just executed so beautifully and I can’t wait to read Emily Henry’s other book, Beach Read

4. The Kiss Quotient

Author: Helen Hoang

Rating: 2/5

Summary: Stella Lane is a successful econometrist living in Palo Alto. She also is diagnosed with Aspergers, making romantic life harder than it already is. Pressured by her parents and co-workers, she hires escort Michael Phan to teach her how to be good at romance – physically and emotionally. Because he can’t afford to say no to the offer, he accepts. Due to their unique dynamic, things get confusing as attraction turns real quickly.

Link to buy: https://tinyurl.com/2upy469e 

I wanted to like this so badly! Unfortunately, it fell really short for me. I think it was because I mostly felt insanely bored reading this. For 75% of the book, it was mostly frustrating miscommunication that can be easily solved if one of them just decides to be honest. Also, I found the male love interest to be a little… unbearable. So while the book drags on, the last 25% of the book ends so abruptly; it felt way too rushed. Sadly, I will not be reading the two (unnecessary) books following this one.

— 

As you can tell, I am on a romance book binge but this pretty much sums up my March reads! Thank you so much for reading and I will see you all again soon with my next reviews. Make sure to stay updated on our social media for when new articles get posted.

Hello! I'm Kaela. I am a current freshman at San Diego State, majoring in Journalism with an emphasis in Advertising. I have always loved writing and hope to pursue it further with Her Campus. A little bit about me is that I love Taylor Swift, boba, and reading!