Rachael Bailey: Making Moments Count

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

Name: Rachael Bailey

Major: Political Science with a minor in Public Administration

Year: Senior! C/O 2012

What all are you involved with on campus?
 SDSU Ambassadors (President)
Jane K. Smith Mortar Board Honor Society (Calendar Promotions Chair)
Associated Students Good Neighbor Program (Chair)
Associated Students External Affairs Board
Associated Students Lobby Corp

How did you start getting involved on campus?
My initial desire to get involved came at New Student Orientation. Campus seemed so lively and all I kept hearing about was the importance of getting involved and really making SDSU your own experience. I knew at some point I wanted to become an Ambassador and help new students the way they helped me. When the semester began, I went to the Student Org Expo and later saw AS tabling. I eagarly signed up for EAB, which seemed closely related to what I was the most passionate about. From there, I was able to network and learn about more other campus involvement opportunities.  

What do you most love about SDSU?
SDSU is extremely unique! I love so many different aspects of it. I love the scenary. We definitely have a gorgeous campus. There are always different activities or events taking place so there are many opportunities for students to get involved and have a good time. What I love the most is how passionate the students are about SDSU. It really becomes a sort of home and something we all grow to love. There is tons of Aztec pride!

So, you’re graduating soon. What are you most looking forward to?
I am definitely looking forward to a new chapter in my life. SDSU has helped me grow and develop into the person I am now and know that it’s only uphill from here. I am really excited about law school and really working towards my career goals. I am very sad about leaving SDSU though. It has been such an important part of my life these last four years. Graduation is definitely a bittersweet moment.

When you’re not busy running from classes to meetings, or prepping for graduation, what do you do in your spare time?

Spare time…What is that?! I work two jobs, so spare time is definitely hard to come by. When I’m not in class, at work, studying or in meetings, I’m still a very busy person! Even when I’m off the clock, I’m still working on something. I’m definitely a workaholic, but I enjoy being busy. It keeps me sane! =)
If I do happen to come across any downtime, I really enjoy spending time with my boyfriend and family. Sometimes it’s nice to just relax and enjoy life each day at a time. Everything seems to pass by so quickly!   

Last question: If you had to watch one movie for the rest of your life, which one would it be?
No thought about it…Dirty Dancing! My favorite movie of all time! Patrick Swayze is amazing. His dance moves seem so fluid and natural. Him and Jennifer Grey are a perfect pairing. Everyone knows the line, “Nobody puts baby in a corner”. Dirty Dancing is an all time classic.

Jazmine is a freshman at San Diego State University in beautiful SO Cal. With plans to major in Communication and double minor in public relations as well as TFM (Television, Film, and New Media), she deeply enjoys reading, writing, and getting to know people around campus. As the founder and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus SDSU, her hopes are high and she is confident the branch will be a wonderful success. While in her first year of college, she is learning how to be more involved around campus while maintaining her studies. After spending a few childhood years living in Europe and traveling internationally, Jazmine has a passion for learning about different cultures from all over the world, especially the different foods! Future plans? She intends to have a career in media, preferably at a fashion magazine, such as Seventeen, or work with a popular television network such as OWN. In her free time she enjoys being with friends, reading, photography, Sunday church, learning how to play the ukulele, organizing things, and spending hours in the beauty department at almost any store.