This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

Poems to Empower Collegiate Women

Poetry has always been a passion of mine, and when I had to take a creative writing class this semester I practically jumped for joy. The class involves the analysis and production of various forms of poetry and has inspired me to explore works outside of the classroom. Throughout this semester I have discovered some of my favorite poets, and a common denominator between them is they all discuss topics of womanhood. In the spirit of National Women’s Day, I have listed a few of my favorite feminist poems that make me proud to be a woman.

Still I Rise by Maya Angelou is a beautiful poem presenting resistance to oppression. As a civil rights activist, Angelou discusses black womanhood in a plethora of her works. Still I Rise is a beautiful poem which encompasses the intersectionality of being a black woman in America. Although the oppressor, addressed as “you” throughout the poem, attempts to shoot, cut, and kill the narrator, she still can rise. Angelou’s poem serves as a passionate reminder to be resilient in the presence of challenge, and a historical reminder of the persecution black women have faced. 

What they don’t want you to know by Amanda Lovelace is a short poem depicting the challenges of growing up as a woman. Lovelace describes the experience of puberty and how many young women do not understand what is going on with their bodies, as well as why men are looking at them differently. This poem serves as a motivating reminder to young women everywhere that we exist for so many beautiful reasons, and pleasing a man is not one of them. 

This untitled poem by Rupi Kaur is one of my favorites, as it depicts thoughts that most women have experienced. This poem sheds light on the importance of complimenting fellow women on traits besides physical appearance. Kaur does an incredible job of summarizing the struggle of appreciating women in a society that has ingrained appearance as the only valid trait. 

I am a 3rd year communications major at SDSU, and junior social media director at her campus SDSU chapter. I am minoring in creative writing and love to write poetry and opinion pieces. I am excited to pursue social media management this year through Her Campus as well as write many fun articles for the chapter.