Meet the AS Candidates: VP of Financial Affairs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

Attention Aztecs!  It’s election time! We’ve been listening to the speeches, and the majority of the candidates running for Associated Students positions are passionate and charming. But Her Campus SDSU wanted to speak each candidate one-on-one, for a more personal connection.

To get to know the candidates running for executive positions, we made sure to interview each of them. We’ll be posting each of their interviews online. The first two candidates are Dara Majdi and Mariah Kelly, both running for Vice President of Financial Affairs.

Dara Majdi

Year: Junior

Major/Minor: Business Marketing- Integrated Marketing Communication; Psychology Minor

What makes you the most qualified for this position?

What I’ve been doing so far, especially on CASE as Marketing Chair and as a part of CASE Program Funding. I’ve also wanted to become more involved, so I’ve joined every business organization to understand the business aspect better. A lot of the responsibilities on CASE, especially Program Funding, involve the same tasks as Financial Affairs, but on a smaller scale. The responsibility of Aztecs Rock Hunger is also all about marketing.

What has inspired you to run?

My freshman year, we joked about it, but it didn’t become a reality until last year, when I won for College of Business. I’m planning on applying what I’ve learned there is to this position in a bigger and better way. I know it’s a lot of time and effort, but I’m really excited for it.

Also, my team. All of my team members represent a different aspect of campus, and they all do the same thing they’re running for.

What kind of positive change can you make on campus?

It’s easy to get lazy and tired and put your involvements on the backburner. I promise not to do this. I promise to bring my A-game ever day. I’m also working towards efficiency, allocating funds in a new and improved way, and following up with people who receive our funds. Previous people have done a great job, but I want to exceed that, and I want to exceed what’s expected of me.

What is your favorite SDSU memory?

Last year’s election. Wanting something so bad and working so hard to prepare for it, giving everything I had, getting to know people – not for votes, but to see if I could really do the job – and seeing it all pay off.

Mariah Kelly

Year: Junior

Major/Minor: Business Management – Entrepreneurship, English minor

My experiences. I have served on Finance Board and have been dealing with the AS budget every week for two years, experiencing all the changes that we’ve gone through with the budget. When issues came up, I’ve been a part of those conversations. I’ve also served on Audit committee and finance restructuring every semester. I know the direction we’re going. I’ve sat with Finance Managers and has discussions on how restructuring will change it. Aztec Shops Board of Directors has a $30 million budget – knowing the ins and outs of that corporation is important. I’ve also served as President of Afrikan Student Union with a budget of $12,000. All three of those, being able to oversee budgets exceeding $50 million in a year gives me a leg up in the competition.

What has inspired you to run?

My love for the university. When I was a freshman, I wasn’t connected and it made it hard for me. The minute I got involved with Finance Board, Rotaract, AS, and ASU, I began to love what this university does for the students. I hope to represent the student body and give them the same experience as I did. I want students to be able to love this campus and be able to graduate and be proud to be an Aztec and I believe that I can represent all students and be able to do that.

Also, my community; a community of people who believed that they weren’t a part of this campus. To be able to put that stamp on it and keep the legacy of being involved and showing us that we can do these things.

What kind of positive change can you make on this campus?

I think that having the experience and knowing what’s been going on for the past two years, I can take a closer look at making sure the budget helps all the students. Whether that’s reallocating funds to empower other groups by offering that as a resource, I believe that these are changes that I think the campus can use.

What is your favorite SDSU memory?

One of the many – last year’s Greenfest after the video and fashion show release. We had found out the results. My organization and AKPsi and others were all hanging out, dancing, and mingling with other Aztecs. This has led to joint events between groups. We all come from different backgrounds, and being able to enjoy the moment together is important.

So there you have it!  Log onto WebPortal to vote until Thursday at 7 p.m. All it takes is a click to cast your vote!

Stay tuned for more interviews by Bree Lutjens!

Welcome to Her Campus SDSU!