HOW TO: Upgrade Your Dorm Room…on a Budget

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

Decorating your dorm room can be a hassle and, not to mention, expensive. But, if you are looking to freshen up your space this new year, remember that it’s possible to do it on a budget while still adding a touch of your personal style! I mean, this will be your home for the next 4 years, so you should create the environment you want. Whether you need a new plant or some wall decorations, we have some great tips to help you decorate your dorm room without breaking your bank while still making it your own.

Thrifting

Because thrift stores sell everything from clothes to furniture, it’s important to go in knowing what you want and what you don’t. This could be done by creating mood boards or looking up inspiration beforehand. Some of the best items to look for are plant pots, lamps, vases, and mirrors. If you don’t end up finding anything that day, that’s ok! Thrift stores such as Goodwill or Savers always have new inventory. Pro tip: some of the best days to visit are Mondays or Tuesdays because the staff has had time to filter through weekend drop-offs.

decorate your walls

One of the easiest and most inexpensive ways to add some of your personality to your room is by decorating your walls. This can be tricky since most dorms prohibit the use of thumbtacks or nails for hanging items. You can, however, use double-sided tape or hanging strips instead.

My favorite way to incorporate my style in my room is by adding lights, posters, mirrors, or pictures. Pro tip: sites such as Society6 have discounts fairly often, but you can also opt for printing your own posters.

add plants

Plants are a great addition to any dorm room. Even if you aren’t a natural at keeping plants alive, there are several plants that take relatively little attention. Some of these include pothos, monsteras, cacti, succulents, lavender, spider plant, and aloe. Pro tip: plants aren’t always low-priced, but your local swap meet is your best bet for affordable plants.

DIY projects

With a little bit of imagination, you can turn simple everyday items into something better. For example, this napkin holder doubles as a record/magazine holder. You could also learn to embroider, crochet, or paint to customize your room to your liking. Craft stores sell generally cheap materials, and often have discounts or coupons! Pro tip: thrift stores are also a great place to find materials that you can easily thrift flip.

shop smart

There are many stores out there that sell trendy or aesthetic room decor, however, some can be overpriced. A great way to save money but still get the look you are going for is to visit off-price retailers such as TJ Maxx, Marshalls, DD’s Discounts, Five Below, or Home Goods. It is also worth keeping an eye out for sales and coupons to buy even more affordable decor. Pro tip: Facebook Marketplace and Mercari are also great when looking to buy new and used discounted items. 

If you are using the new year to revamp your space, this list can serve as a helpful guide to ensure that you are not overspending on your dorm room. If you are undecided on how to change your room, start by looking for inspiration on Instagram, TikTok, or Pinterest. Once you know your style, the fun can begin!

Hi! I am currently a fourth year marketing major with a minor in portuguese and digital and social media studies! I'm really interested in digital marketing, and want to make a difference in business using new innovative ways through social media platforms. My hobbies include reading, playing piano, figure skating, and art!