Style

How to Start a Capsule Wardrobe with Five Timeless Pieces

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

In a world where sustainable style and fast fashion compete for attention, new trends are appearing all over the place. One trend on the rise in womens style is the idea of a capsule wardrobe, a simple closet of timeless pieces that can be mixed and matched and worn for years without ever going out of style. Though there is no limit to the amount of pieces one should have in their capsule wardrobe, many claim 10-20 is the perfect amount to last through all four seasons.

Deciding how to start a capsule wardrobe can be tricky, but it is important to find pieces that describe individual style and fit a college budget. Just because these pieces are cohesive and often simple, they can be dressed up with boots, cute jewelry, and trendy accessories. Capsule wardrobes tend to have a few essentials, for example, a pair of jeans that can be worn every day, or a comfortable sneaker that can be dressed up and dressed down. But how can you find some of these closet staples? Easy, they’re in almost every store! Keep scrolling to see some of the most popular pieces that can be seen on San Diego State’s campus.

1.) The classic white tee

This piece is a great place to start your capsule wardrobe because, if you don’t already have a white t-shirt hiding in your closet, you can find a great new favorite in the Northside Vintage Tee by Madewell for $14.50. This shirt is not only soft and comfortable, but it will last for years to come.

Nordstrom.com

2.) Blue jeans

These are another item that you likely already have, but having a pair with a fit that won’t go out of style in the next few years is important. You can’t go wrong with investing in a pair of Levi’s that will hug your curves and outlast all the culottes and flair jeans that show up on the racks. These jeans can be found at Nordstrom for $98.

Nordstrom.com

3.) Converse

Nothing is more classic and timeless than a pair of Chuck Taylor’s. You can’t go wrong with black, white or even red Converse. Whatever color you choose, be it high tops or low top, this is a chance to really make your capsule wardrobe represent who you are. These white Converse high tops can be found at Urban Outfitters for $55.

Urban Outfitters

4.) Joggers

There’s nothing like trying to roll out of bed for that Monday morning, 8:00 a.m. class that you regret not dropping on the first day. Fumbling around for something you can throw on, you won’t regret buying a pair of joggers that can be dressed up or dressed down, but keep you cute and cozy for class. These joggers are available in three colors and can be found at Urban Outfitters for $39.

Urban Outfitters

5.) Blazer

You never know when you might need a sharp look for an interview or career fair, so having a great fitting black blazer is not only an excellent closet piece, but an investment in your future profession. While there are a variety of blazer colors and options, black is a great place to start because it goes with everything and will always be in style. With a denim chambray shirt and slacks, to a sequined dress for a night out, a good blazer should last you all through the day, night and a good number of years. This black blazer by 1.STATE is perfect for college students and is from Nordstrom for $129. This blazer has stretch that allows for a great fit to look tailored, without the prices of tailoring services.

Nordstrom.com

With these options you can build a great base for a capsule wardrobe, but don’t be afraid to elaborate and build from there with more options like a classic denim jacket, or Birkenstock sandals that will be worn for years to come.

My name is Aubrey Martin and I am currently junior at San Diego State University majoring in Journalism with an emphasis in public relations as well as, Spanish, in addition to my two majors I am seeking a minor in hospitality and tourism management. I love lifestyle and travel public relations and would love to work at an agency focusing on one of these industries in the future. In my free time I am a full and half marathon runner!