This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

After we’re dumped, our initial thought is “let’s get back together” or “we can make it work” because going through that pain of going on with your life without your main person seems too hard to imagine. I know because I went through the same exact feeling. I right away started thinking of ways I could change myself to help the situation just so we could stay together. Thankfully, I realized I needed to go through that heartache because it was going to make me the stronger and more independent woman I am now.

In Someone Great, Jenny is an amazing writer in New York with a supportive and loving boyfriend of 9 years. Jenny receives an amazing offer to work at Rolling Stone all the way in San Francisco, California. What she didn’t know was that this great news was also the breaking point for her relationship that was already on thin ice. She cries and tries to convince her boyfriend not to end them but he is adamant about long distance being too difficult and that it was time for them to live the rest of their lives as their own persons. Jenny sobs after hearing the heartbreaking news and leaves back to her apartment.

The next morning, she calls her best friends from college and breaks the news to them but follows it up with an idea to attend a music festival that holds so many great memories between them as a last “hoorah” since she is moving to California soon. Jenny and her best friends meet up for a nice girls day in the city while also prepping for this festival. With every store and street they pass, Jenny falls into a haze reminiscing specific memories with her ex-boyfriend, Nate, at special locations. Finally, the girls arrive at the festival confident and ready to have a good time. They run to the dance floor as they hear Great One by Jessie Reyez, their favorite artist, playing and dance their hearts out. Jenny is enjoying her company but turns around to see Nate standing at the bar. She runs to the bathroom to text him but drops her phone in the toilet. Now, with no phone and no friends in sight she heads straight to the dance floor looking for her best friends but instead runs right into Nate. They lock eyes and she mouths, “I love you” to him and he replies, “Forever”. Overwhelmed with emotion, she runs to the door to catch some air but runs into an old fling from college instead. He saves her by taking her to the after party where Jenny realizes she doesn’t want to save her relationship with Nate. She flees the party to her and Nate’s old spot at Washington Park. On her subway ride there she writes this beautiful goodbye letter to her love that, personally, validated my own reason as to why I didn’t want to save my own failing relationship anymore. Jenny writes…

Do you think I can have

one more kiss?

I’ll find closure on your lips,

and then I’ll go.

Maybe also one more breakfast,

one more lunch, and one more dinner.

I’ll be full and happy

and we can part.

But in between meals,

maybe we can lie in bed one more time.

One more prolonged moment

where time suspends indefinitely

as I rest my head on your chest.

My hope is if we add up the “one mores,”

they will equal a lifetime,

and I’ll never have to get to the part

where I let you go.

But that’s not real, is it?

There are no more “one mores.”

I met you when everything

was new and exciting,

and the possibilities

of the world seemed endless.

And they still are.

For you, for me.

But not for us.

Somewhere between then and now,

here and there,

I guess we didn’t just grow apart,

we grew up.

When something breaks, if the pieces

are large enough, you can fix it.

Unfortunately, sometimes things

don’t break, they shatter.

But when you let the light in,

shattered glass will glitter.

And in those moments,

when the pieces of what we were

catch the sun,

I’ll remember just how beautiful it was.

Just how beautiful it’ll always be.

Because it was us.

And we were magic.  

Read more: https://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/movie_script.php?movie=someone-…

She says goodbye to her happy ending by remembering their great memories together. By being grateful, she was lucky enough to feel all that love for someone and have it reciprocated. Her love with him didn’t last a lifetime, but the memories she’s left with will last a lifetime. Her ending monologue exemplifies the saying I live by, “Don’t be sad it’s over, be happy that it happened.” Looking at the good things rather than dwelling on the bad helps you move on and find the reason as to why heartbreak happens. Now, Jenny will begin her new successful life in San Francisco following her dreams of writing about music for Rolling Stone Magazine. Going through the pain is going to bring the brightest light in your life and shape you into a stronger you. It’s going to hurt in the beginning but be so worth it in the end. I’m so happy I was able to say goodbye to my happy ending like Jenny did and create new lasting friendships. Here’s to getting our hearts broken and growing from it. Cheers babes!

Hi! My name is Arianna and I am currently studying dance at San Diego State University. I've been dancing since I was six years old and grew a passion for writing in high school. Along with dancing and writing, I love everything fashion and editing vlogs for my youtube channel. I focus mainly on capturing memories when I spend time with my friends so we can all have a cute video to look back at of our amazing experiences! Editing pictures to create mood boards or add a fun twist to ordinary photos is something I've been very interested in as well. In all honesty, anything in the arts peaks my interest. I am so excited to be part of this amazing team and can't wait to spread positivity and empowerment through my articles. Follow me on Instagram to get a sneak peek into my life!: @1tsari
Emily is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus SDSU. She is a 4th year journalism student from Chicago, IL. At SDSU, she is in Kappa Delta, is the Social Media Director of Rho Lambda and the Vice President Membership of Order of Omega. Emily's favorite hobbies are dancing, online shopping, planning out her Instagram feed, blogging and going to Disneyland. On a daily basis, you can find her glued to her laptop writing blog posts and editing Youtube videos. In the future, she wants to work for the Walt Disney Company on their social media marketing and communications corporate team. Emily's strong passion for digital media & content creation makes her very proud to be a member of the Her Campus team!