This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

The fall season is in full swing and what better way to celebrate dipping temperatures and changing leaves than immersing yourself in movies that emulate the spirit of the season? When most people think of fall, their minds automatically jump to scary Halloween movies–but those aren’t always for everyone. Here are some suggestions on what to watch to celebrate fall with less jump-scares, and more fun.

1. Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009) dir. Wes Anderson

Based off of the 1970 novel written by Roald Dahl, Fantastic Mr. Fox follows its titular character and his family who live a quiet life inside of a tree. After repeatedly stealing food from the human farmers nearby, Mr. Fox and his other animal friends must work together to stay alive and find a new place to live free from the humans. 

Complete with whimsical fall scenery all filmed in stop-motion, Fantastic Mr. Fox offers a charming viewer experience sure to put you in the fall spirit. Arrays of oranges and references to harvest are sure to warm you from the inside and encourage you to enjoy the season while it lasts. 

1. Practical Magic (1998) dir. Griffin Dunne

Starring Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman as sisters Sally and Gillian respectively, this film provides a romantic twist on the supernatural. After making an unfortunate and fatal mistake, the sisters decide to use the dark magic they have suppressed to resurrect him and avoid a run-in with the law. However, sparks begin to fly when an investigator (Aidan Quinn) comes to town in search of their victim and the sisters learn that their magic is an asset rather than a disadvantage. 

If you’re looking for a wholesome take on the occult for your Halloween evening, look no further than this movie. Practical Magic is treats with a dash of tricks, making it the perfect addition to your Halloween movie rotation. 

1. Knives Out (2019) dir. Rian Johnson

In this modern day cult classic, eclectic Detective Benoit Blanc (Daniel Craig) takes on the mysterious murder in the Thrombey family, where everyone is a suspect. With a blockbuster cast of fan favorite actors and a series of unsuspecting plot twists, this film effectively blends comedy and mystery together to create a witty watch that anyone can enjoy. 

One of the most unforgettable and viral moments from this movie is Chris Evans in a variety of lucious knit sweaters, providing plenty of inspiration for your fall wardrobe. Cozy up on the couch and dive into the chilly atmosphere of the Massachusetts landscape paired with a smart script, guaranteed to incite anticipation for autumn. 

1. The Sixth Sense (1999) dir. M. Night Shyamalan 

This psychological thriller stars Bruce Willis as child psychologist Dr. Malcolm Crowe with an eerie client who claims he can see ghosts. The more that Malcolm learns about his peculiar young patient, the more unsettling his own reality becomes. With a plot twist cemented in film history, this movie reads more as unsettling than horrific and can be watched any time during the fall season. 

If you’re looking for a more serious watch to cross off your list of classic films, The Sixth Sense is a perfect option. Whether you watch it during Halloween or Thanksgiving, it can be repurposed all throughout fall and will definitely require multiple watches to properly digest every detail. 

1. Coco (2017) dir. Adrian Molina and Lee Unkrich 

Closing out our list is the beloved Disney Pixar movie Coco, a sentimental watch with a colorful soundtrack and stunning visuals. The main character, Miguel, goes on a magical quest for self-discovery and family history. During the Day of the Dead (Día de Muertos) holiday, Miguel finds himself in an alternate universe, searching for the truth behind the ban on music in his family. 

Día de los Muertos takes place between the end of October to the beginning of November and celebrates relatives who have passed away with personalized altars and elaborate gravestone decorations. Coco includes all the elements of this significant holiday in an affectionate tribute to Mexican culture that offers a different perspective of the fall season. Extraordinary animation paired with numerous catchy earworms are the best combination for a fun night in. 

This list is not at all exhaustive, and there are an infinite number of films that fit the fall season. Create your own list of fall classics and transport yourself to your ideal autumnal wonderland from the comfort of your couch.

SDSU '24 Journalism and Media Studies Student. Thanks for reading <3