This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

A new season is upon us, meaning it’s time to shed our old winter layers and jump into the bright colors of spring! Two trends we love this season are: bright neon clothing pieces and “ombré” hairstyles. The first is easy to achieve: there’s no doubt our favorite stores—Forever 21, H&M, Express, and so on—will have tops and skirts to work into your wardrobe. The latter is the idea of having your hair color go from dark roots to lighter ends, whether it be from letting an old dye job grow out, or actually dying your tips a lighter hue. But what if we were to mix these two trends?

First up: colored ombré tips! The idea is to choose some bright colors that go well with your natural hair color, or whatever color your hair is currently dyed. Teals go best with blondes, purples with brunettes, and pinks with redheads, but feel free to choose whatever you like best! The next question is: to make it permanent or temporary? Places like Sally’s Beauty Supply sell a wide variety of colors to permanently dye your hair with, and each ranges in the number of washes the dye will last through. However, if you don’t feel like committing to a color for more than a day or so, Youtube beauty guru, Kandee Johnson, has an awesome tutorial on how to “dye” hair using chalk pastels.

The next option that mixes these two trends are pieces of clothing that have a bright color ombré in their design. This idea looks best on dresses, whether they be long garments, or shorter sundresses. The color gradient helps add to the overall flow of the dress, and the pop of color won’t seem as intense as it fades.  If you can’t find your perfect dress in store, we say it’s time for a DIY project. We’ve all dyed something at some point, and trust us, this ombré project won’t be as difficult to achieve as those rainbow spirals we see on tourist-meets-hippie T-shirts—and it won’t be as tacky either. Fabric dye can be found at your local craft store, like Michael’s or Tall Mouse.  As for the dress, we suggest a cheap one from Target, Forever 21, or even a local thrift store.  No one will care where you bought it from after you add your own ombré effect, so why shell out a ton of money for it? How you dye it is all up to you, but remember those science projects from elementary school where we found out water is easily absorbed up into paper towels?  Fabric is no different, so if you dip the end of the dress into dye and leave it for too long, the color may soak up further than you wanted, so make sure to keep an eye on it!

Don’t forget that not only beauty, but fashion as well, is all in the eye of the beholder, so be as unique as possible when trying these trends out!   

Jazmine is a freshman at San Diego State University in beautiful SO Cal. With plans to major in Communication and double minor in public relations as well as TFM (Television, Film, and New Media), she deeply enjoys reading, writing, and getting to know people around campus. As the founder and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus SDSU, her hopes are high and she is confident the branch will be a wonderful success. While in her first year of college, she is learning how to be more involved around campus while maintaining her studies. After spending a few childhood years living in Europe and traveling internationally, Jazmine has a passion for learning about different cultures from all over the world, especially the different foods! Future plans? She intends to have a career in media, preferably at a fashion magazine, such as Seventeen, or work with a popular television network such as OWN. In her free time she enjoys being with friends, reading, photography, Sunday church, learning how to play the ukulele, organizing things, and spending hours in the beauty department at almost any store.