This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

dear so&so

I just went through a pretty rough patch in my life. To put it simply and refrain from bringing out any unresolved feelings, I am beginning enough new chapters in my life to start a novel. I think the most relevant thing to mention is that I am single, jobless, and just moved to a new town. I want to be able to have a good start for myself. But, in all aspects of my life, I feel scared and hopeless. Coming to a new town, being single, and looking for a job all put me in very vulnerable positions where I can face perpetual failure. I want to put my best foot forward but I am afraid that my fear is holding me back. I have to ask, So&So. How do I handle rejection? 

Signed, 

Starting a New Chapter

dear starting a new chapter,

I am sure we all face more rejection than we would like to admit. I know I do. Rejection induces feelings that are uncomfortable to face. Feelings such as shame, sadness, and that disagreeable pit in your stomach that is never easy to overcome. Although, this is not to say that rejection is not an important thing to face.

We face rejection in all aspects of life. Many of them are situations that you are currently going through yourself. Facing rejection sounds easier than it is. Trust me, I understand that. But, if I have learned anything about rejection it is that you simply have to face it if you want to move forward. 

Regarding your situation, I find that it is important to highlight the beauty of perspective. Being in a new town, single, and jobless can be perceived as a very negative thing if you face it with a narrow-minded, negative perspective. Although, if you expand your perspective and at least try to see things with an open mind, you may realize that the current situation you are in grants you an ample amount of potential opportunities for you to seize and find joy in. 

Although it may be hard, it is about time for everyone to overcome and embrace rejection. Rejection may be hard but when you truly think about it, how much does it matter? These “hurt feelings” we feel are often fleeting and more importantly, can be used to overcome the situation you are facing. Rejection grants you the access to grow through different avenues and as a person. Hearing “no” on five separate occasions makes receiving one “yes” much more fulfilling. When we find ourselves in more comfortable situations, we are more willing to take risks and fully immerse ourselves in these experiences. So, become comfortable with rejection, and don’t let the fear of rejection keep you from the euphoric feeling of receiving one yes. 

Many humans possess the interesting quality of giving great advice to other people, but not applying that same advice to their own lives. If your friend was in your shoes, what would you tell them? I know you would not advise them to wallow in the feelings that the fear of rejection produces. You would tell them to have fun and make the most out of the new opportunities they are being faced with! So, embrace rejection and try doing the same. Don’t allow for the situation to remain idle with potential opportunities. Start this new chapter of your life, and make it your reality.

XOXO So&So

Hi! My name is Sydnie Domingue and I am a Pre-Med English major with a minor in Interdisciplinary Studies at SDSU. I was born and raised in the Bay Area, but I love living in San Diego. I love going to the beach, getting coffee, thrifting, anything fashion-related, and listening to music on long drives with my friends. While I love being near the beach, I know that one day I would love to live in a city! I am so excited to be a part of Her Campus and hope my experiences can benefit yours!