CRITTERSCOPES: How Community Helps Us Survive in Hard Times

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

With this recent heatwave, we’ve all been dreaming about cold weather and snowy days. The animal I’ve chosen to feature today knows a lot about this kind of chilly weather. I’ve dreamed of what it would be like to be a little emperor penguin since I was little, even more so now with the hot San Diego weather. I may not ever be able to be a penguin, but that doesn’t mean we can learn a few good lessons from these sweet little creatures. 

Like many other animals, emperor penguins value community more than anything. They have to rely on each other to survive their harsh environment so colonies work together to stay warm through huddling. Each penguin takes turns being on the outside where it is colder in order to keep their family warm until it’s their turn to be on the inside of the huddle. Our friends and loved ones may never need us to protect them from -60 degree weather, but we can offer them our support. All of us have to face our own personal “harsh weather” or struggles in life and having loved ones to help us through makes these times much easier. Check in on your friends this week, see how they are doing, ask if they need to be on the “inside of the huddle” and let you brave their winds for a little while. Or, if you need some support, reach out to your friends and ask them if they can do this for you. 

The Unique and compassionate way penguins care for each other is extended to their relationships as well. They mate for life and work together to take care of each other and the babies. Once their egg is laid, male penguins keep the egg warm while the female leaves to catch food for the baby once it is born. When the egg has hatched, the mother returns and takes over the care of the newborn while the father goes hunting. Penguin couples work as partners in order to survive together and raise their babies. This is important in our own human relationships. For anyone in a relationship, remember to take care of your partner and make sure they are working to take care of you as well. 

Penguins are animals that love and care for each other because they know it is necessary for survival. For us, it is not as drastic as freezing to death, but we also need the support of each other to survive. This is such an important thing to remember, especially with the start of the school year and all the things that come with it. Be sure you are looking after your community and appreciating those who are taking care of you too.

I am a freshman at San Diego State Univeristy. My major is English with a focus on sing subject teaching in the hopes of becoming a high school teacher. I love to read and recently discovered a love for writing too. I’m very excited to be a writer this year for Her Campus.