This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

Did your new year start off how you wanted it to? Are you struggling to find the inspiration you need to kick start your year? Here are 5 motivational books that will help you start 2019 off right.

Photo by Kayla Compton

1.) Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis

This book seems to be the biggest trending book among young women currently. I finally decided to pick it up for the new year and I’m so glad I did. Hollis is funny, honest and relatable. She felt like the big sister I’ve always wanted, but never had, who told me the secret truths to being an adult. The biggest lessons I learned from the book were that I am in control my life and happiness  and everyone has their struggles and hardships despite what they may portray on social media.

2.) Year of Yes by Shonda Rhimes

Year of Yes by Shonda Rhimes is the perfect book to read at the start of the new year. If you don’t know who Shonda Rhimes is, she is the creator behind Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal and How To Get Away With Murder. I’ve read this book every January for the last few years and it’s motivated me every time I’ve read it. Year of Yes reminds me to say yes more in my life and do things that might be out of my comfort zone.

3.) The Compound Effect by Darren Hardy

Do you ever feel stuck in a rut and feel like there’s no way out of it? If you’re struggling to go to the gym, try out that new hobby or journal more, this book is perfect to motivate you to just start. The little habits we do every day make up who we are and add up to make significant changes in our life overtime. The Compound Effect teaches you how to get rid of bad habits, build good habits and make lasting change in your life.

4.) Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert

If you’re a creator of any kind, this book should definitely be the next book on your reading list. Gilbert is also the author of the popular book and movie, Eat, Pray, Love. Big Magic teaches you ways to not just be more creative in your hobbies or passions, but how to live a more creative life overall. Gilbert gives her insights on being more mindful in life and in the creative process.

5.) Leave Your Mark by Aliza Licht

This is the book I’m currently reading and I wish I read this book my freshman year of college. Licht provides you with the guide to having a great cover letter, making the most out of an internship and leaving good impressions. Her advice is incredibly helpful for anyone starting to apply for college, internships or jobs. You should pick this up if you’re feeling lost in your career path or just don’t know what your next step should be in life.

Definitely check out these 5 books if you’re looking for motivation or inspiration for 2019! These books will help you start the new year right!

Kayla is the Senior Editor for Her Campus SDSU and she is also a member of Kappa Alpha Theta. She is a senior studying Journalism and Media Studies with an emphasis in Public Relations. Kayla can often be found editing Youtube videos, reading a good book or going to see musicals. Her favorite things are the San Francisco Giants, puppies and mint chocolate chip ice cream. Don't forget to check out her blog and Youtube channel and follow her on Instagram and Twitter.