This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

I started playing the cello in fourth grade. For those who might be unfamiliar with my instrument, it’s bigger than a viola, but smaller than a double bass.

The reason I chose the cello is because I wanted to play an instrument like my siblings did, but I thought the band players were too loud and brassy. Ultimately my laziness is what attracted me to the cello, because it can only be played sitting down.

Here are the top 6 things my instrument has taught me over the past twelve years.

1. Organization

From making an instrument fit into a storage locker to taping sheet music for easier page turns, musicians have to be organized. Also, time management is essential for scheduling practices, sectionals, rehearsals, and performances.

2. Social skills

Although each musician plays their instrument individually, the orchestra is only as strong as its weakest member.  Everyone has to be on the same page, follow the leader, and listen to those around them in order to cohesively work as a group towards a common goal.

3. Responsibility

Musicians have a lot of responsibility when it comes to the care and keeping of the instrument. Besides maintenance, there’s also the duty of remembering music events and making time to practice.

4. Patience & perseverance

Practice takes a lot of effort and dedication. Musicians must be disciplined by practicing often—especially when first starting out. Over the years, setting aside time to commit to an instrument becomes second nature.

5. Creativity

Learning how to read and play music is all about creative expression and improvisation through solos and sight-reading.  

6. Achievement

There’s an immense sense of pride that goes along with playing an instrument. From nailing an ensemble audition to the final bow of a concert, music performance is one of my greatest loves.

Be sure to check out SCU’s University Orchestra Winter Concert on March 2 at 7:30 p.m. in the Mission!

Erin is a sophomore Features Writer for Her Campus Santa Clara. Her spirit animal is a sloth. 
Laurel Fisher is a senior at Santa Clara University. She is double majoring in math and French. She loves traveling, scrapbooking, and anything to do with France. In her free time, she loves taking photos of just about anything, watching Netflix, eating delicious food, going to the gym, and spending time with her friends.