Top Things to Do During Spring Quarter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

1.  Study/Sunbathe/Nap Outside

Spring is beautiful time of year at Santa Clara:  the grass is green, the flowers are blooming, and the California sun shines nearly every day.  So take advantage of our beautiful campus and spend a little time outside!  Eat lunch with friends on the new patio furniture over by Benson fountain, or grab your beach towel and head over to Mission Gardens to soak up some rays (be sure to wear sunscreen!).  Get some “studying” done on your laptop while chilling in the shade.  Whatever you do, don’t let these sunny spring days pass you by.

2.  Play Frisbee

Nothing screams “college student” more than playing Frisbee on the quad.  This quintessential student activity is inexpensive, fun, and easy!  Tossing a Frisbee back and forth with a friend is a great way to unwind and enjoy some of the spring sunshine.  Play over by Mission Gardens, or on the lawns outside your dorm  –  who knows, that good-looking guy from across the hall may ask to join in (or, better yet, ask him)!

3.  Drink Smoothies

There may not be a Jamba Juice close to campus, but Mission Bakery’s got us covered with their menu of delicious fruit smoothies.  Whether you’re a fan of the classic “Straw-Nana” or the unconventional “Elvis”, spring quarter is the best time to sit back and sip on a smoothie.  The lines may be long, especially on the hottest days, but it’s well worth the wait (and be sure to say thank you to the café workers  –  how would you like the juggle all those smoothie orders at once?).           

4.  Take a Beach Day

We may not have the ocean in our backyards like some other schools do, but the shores of Santa Cruz, Capitola, and Monterey are really just an hour to an hour and a half’s drive away. Whether you use Zipcar, go on public transit, or bum a ride off a friend, be sure to hit the beach at least once during spring quarter.  If you’re from out of the area (or just haven’t been in a while), take a day and head down Highway 17 to the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk for roller coasters and other fun rides.

5.  Go Swimming

The beach too far for you? Grab your swimsuit and towel and make the walk to Malley to hang out by the pool.  A refreshing swim is a great way to relax after a long day in the classroom.  Be sure to head over early in the day, though:  space can fill up quickly in the areas around the pool.

6.  Have Class Outside (or at least try to)

Class outside is the ever-elusive dream of college students (because let’s face it:  “class outside” means “do nothing in the sun”), and spring quarter is our best chance to achieve that dream.  In my experience, professors rarely give in to requests, but it never hurts to ask…

Shannon is a junior at Santa Clara University studying English with an emphasis in Creative Writing. Besides being involves in Her Campus, Shannon is the leader of the a capella group Measure Up and enjoys performing with her friends. Born and bred California, she loves writing, running, and all things movies. Shannon is a big fan of baking, Firefly, and Bernese Mountain dogs. She loves the beach more than anywhere else and undoubtedly wishes she were there right now.