The Oscars: Nominations and Predictions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

The glitz … the glamour … the red carpet!  That’s right:  the 85th Annual Academy Awards are upon us!  On Sunday, February 24th at 7pm EST (that’s 4pm for us West Coasters), millions of viewers from around the world will be watching as Hollywood’s biggest night unfolds.

More than just an endless line of glittering gowns and immaculately-tailored tuxedos, the Academy Awards are a spectacular celebration of film itself, and a chance for the world to recognize the aspects of the film industry that are so often overlooked.

2012 was full of incredible films:  powerful tearjerkers, stunt-filled action flicks, and mind-blowing special effects.  But the question we’re all asking remains: which films are going to win big?  Check out this list of nominees, as well as my picks for who’s going to win it all!

Costume Design:

Jacqueline Durran – Anna Karenina

Paco Delgado – Les Misérables

Joanna Johnston – Lincoln

Eiko Ishioka – Mirror Mirror

Colleen Atwood – Snow White and the Huntsman

Who Will Win:  Jacqueline Durran

Who Should Win:  Jacqueline Durran

If you’ve seen Anna Karenina (or even just this trailer), then you know why I’m saying Jacqueline Durran should win.  From Focus Features (the same company that brought us Pride and Prejudice and Atonement), the period drama features everything from elaborate gowns to officers’ uniforms and everything in between.  Still, I do think that both Joanna Johnston and Paco Delgado (for Lincoln and Les Misérables, respectively) could give Durran a run for her money.

Best Actor in a Leading Role:

Bradley Cooper – Silver Linings Playbook

Joaquin Phoenix – The Master

Daniel Day-Lewis – Lincoln

Denzel Washington – Flight

Hugh Jackman – Les Misérables

Who Will Win:  Daniel Day-Lewis

Who Should Win:  Bradley Cooper

This race almost seems unfair.  Daniel Day-Lewis’ uncanny emulation of America’s 16th President has made him nearly a shoo-in in the minds of both critics and audiences alike.  To me, this is a bit of a shame, as all of the other actors in this category did spectacular work.  Bradley Cooper’s portrayal of a recovering mental illness patient in Silver Linings Playbook, for one, was nothing short of spectacular:  moving, gritty, and powerful enough to leave viewers of the film awestruck.  I see why Day-Lewis deserves it, but still:  I’d be more excited to see Cooper win.

Best Actress in a Leading Role:

Jessica Chastain – Zero Dark Thirty

Jennifer Lawrence – Silver Linings Playbook

Emmanuelle Riva – Amour

Quvenzhané Wallis – Beasts of the Southern Wild

Naomi Watts – The Impossible

Who Will Win:  Emmanuelle Riva

Who Should Win:  Emmanuelle Riva

This is a tougher one to call.  Nine-year-old Quvenzhané Wallis has received a lot of attention for being the youngest actress ever nominated in this category, but many suspect that the Academy will be reluctant to have such a young winner.  Both Jennifer Lawrence and Naomi Watts were stellar in their roles and certainly deserve the Academy’s nod, but my bet is on Emmanuelle Riva.  The French actress simultaneously stole and broke the hearts of viewers in her role as an aging music teacher whose mind and life degenerate all too quickly.  She, and the film itself, deserves to win big.

Best Picture:

Amour

Argo

Beasts of the Southern Wild

Django Unchained

Les Misérables

Life of Pi

Lincoln

Silver Linings Playbook

Zero Dark Thirty

Who Will Win:  Les Misérables or Lincoln

Who Should Win:  Silver Linings Playbook, Amour, or Django: Unchained

Don’t get me wrong:  I’m a huge fan of Les Mis.  But while the film was a very impressive adaptation of the musical, I’m not convinced it deserves to take home the big prize.  The musical numbers were, of course, brilliant:  but some of these other films struck viewers in richer, more powerful ways.  Same goes for Lincoln: Daniel Day-Lewis’ acting aside, to me the film was lacking in that it didn’t connect with the audience beyond the historical concepts.  Both Amour and Silver Linings Playbook were not only incredibly moving stories, but brilliant executions of cinematic technique.  In my opinion, the title of “Best Picture” belongs to one of them.  (As for Django: Unchained, the film was so intense that I’m still kind of awestruck. A bit of an underdog compared to the other films, it just may take home the award).  Beasts of Southern Wild started as an indie film and a directorial debut, so if the Academy can shake the pomp and circumstance we may see them taking it home. 

So, what do you think?  Do you agree, or think I’m completely off?  We’ll just have to see what the Academy decides.  The best thing about these awards is that unlike the ceremonies that have passed in the last few years, this one is completely up in the air and the awards could go to ANYONE.  But until then, check out the list of all the categories and nominees, plus view the trailers for the films on the official Oscars website.  And remember to be watching on February 24th at 4pm!

Disclaimer:  As much as I wish I had, I haven’t been lucky enough to see every one of these wonderful films just yet.  These predictions are based on reviews from critics, the public’s response to the films, and my own opinions.

Photo Source: filmscoringlab.com, io9.com, collider.com

Shannon is a junior at Santa Clara University studying English with an emphasis in Creative Writing. Besides being involves in Her Campus, Shannon is the leader of the a capella group Measure Up and enjoys performing with her friends. Born and bred California, she loves writing, running, and all things movies. Shannon is a big fan of baking, Firefly, and Bernese Mountain dogs. She loves the beach more than anywhere else and undoubtedly wishes she were there right now.