Style > Beauty

One Size Doesn’t Fit All: A Guide on Body-Positive Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

I haven’t fit comfortably into one of Brandy Melville’s skirts since I was 13-years-old. At one time, this truth was extremely disturbing to me. I thought to myself, “if this size is supposed to fit all, why doesn’t it fit me?” When I think about it now, the term “one size fits all” is legitimately absurd. I mean, we all wear different shoe sizes, don’t we? Are shoe companies going to start making all of their shoes in the same size, claiming that “one size fits all?” No, because that would be idiotic and not to mention, impossible. Physiologically, our feet are different sizes—just like our bodies. So, if we biologically have different sized bodies, why do fashion brands like Brandy Melville promote this “one size fits all?”

clothes on rack
Photo by Duy Hoang from Unsplash

Now, let me tell you: they are looking for consumers with specific bodies to promote their clothing — the ones who have the features of 13-year-olds forever. Of course, I mean no offense to those with the supermodel body-type, the long, skinny legs, a smaller bust, and less pronounced hips, but it can feel pretty discriminating to the rest of us. Those deemed “beautiful” by American society are often the ones who can fit into Brandy Melville clothes. In other words, the “one size fits all” method is simply employed by body shaming fashion brands that only want their items to be worn by those seen as beautiful by society’s standards. 

However, I do believe that the American definition of “beautiful” has broadened over recent years. While racism and fat shaming still no doubt play a role in America’s traditionalist, and not to mention discriminatory, standard of beauty, some of the world’s most beautiful women include Beyonce, Jennifer Lopez, Rihanna and Priyanka Chopra. These women aren’t a size double zero and probably can’t fit into Brandy Melville clothes, but they are still beautiful, right? As members of society, it’s our responsibility to change the traditional definition of beauty so that it includes more than skinny white women with blonde hair and blue eyes. To do your part in supporting the body-positivity movement, here are some fashion brands that support beautiful bodies of all sizes. 

Aerie

This brand features diverse, real-life bodies — with cellulite, stretch marks, and body fat. Aerie embraces all sized-bodies, with a variety of sizes ranging from XXS to XXL. Not only does Aerie showcase its inclusivity, but their clothing is also just as cute as items you’d see at Brandy Melville. I especially like their high-waisted mom jeans that are available in sizes triple zero to 24. I often struggle with finding jeans that fit me properly— usually they are too tight on my thighs and too big on my waist—but I have time and time again found success with Aerie’s line of jeans that will hug you in all the right places.

Modcloth

Like Aerie, Modcloth utilizes a diverse cast of models and even offers images of all garments on different-sized bodies. Modcloth items are fun, feminine with just the right amount of vintage. I love their graphic tees, which range from silly phrases to pictures of cats. Sizing at Modcloth isn’t “one size fits all” but instead varies from XS to 4XL. Modcloth also features an entire section dedicated to curvy women, with a cast of representative, diverse models.

ASOS

I absolutely love ASOS. I can shop here for hours — they have everything you could ever need, from fashionable tops and jeans to sportswear to those lazy Sunday loungewear outfits. This one-stop-shop offers a diverse selection of sizing, from petite, curvy and plus to maternity and tall styles. Their garments are affordable, to-die-for cute, and supportive of all types of bodies.

Old Navy

If you don’t shop at Old Navy, let me change your mind. Not only do they offer great prices and sizing for all, but their garment choices are also stylish and perfect for any occasion. I love their blouses and long-sleeved tees and appreciate that they utilize models of all skin colors and body-types. Old Navy frequently has sales and discounts, which should give you an extra reason to check them out. Additionally, Old Navy ensures that their advertisements, commercials and social media accounts feature diverse models, further emphasizing their support for the body-positivity movement. I want to shop for clothes at stores that feature realistic models with a similar body-type to me and that support me for how I look, which Old Navy clearly does a fantastic job with.

Target

I don’t know about you, but I have recently noticed a complete makeover of Target’s clothing line. I used to just think of Target as a place to grocery shop, but now, I visit Target to check out their affordable and fashionable body-inclusive garments. From Levi’s jeans to activewear to Target’s in-house brands, their range of garments are offered in a diverse selection of sizes and are advertised with real-life women. Target’s clothing line offers options for everyone— from professional working class women to those looking for a cute, comfortable style.

Clearly, one size does not fit all. In fact, five sizes still won’t fit all. We are a diverse group of people with a diverse range of bodies that we should feel proud of! Don’t let Brandy Melville make you feel like you are anything less than perfect. Make sure to shop from body-positive fashion brands and let’s work to make the world realize that all bodies are beautiful.

Madison Hoffman is a third-year student at Santa Clara University where she serves as the Senior Editor of the Her Campus chapter. She is studying Sociology, Public Health, and Spanish and plans on attend nursing school after completing her undergraduate degree. Madison is passionate about global and public health, healthcare, and health disparities. In her free time, Madison enjoys playing with her English Bulldog, listening to Taylor Swift, and watching The Office.
Meghana Reddy is the Campus Correspondent for the SCU chapter of Her Campus. Currently, she is a 4th year student pursuing a Major in Neuroscience and Minor in Computer Science. Meghana is passionate about women in entrepreneurship, consulting, healthcare, women's health, and dogs! In her free time, she loves to travel, try new foods, and practice yoga!