Maximizing the Three Day Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

With the start of Winter Quarter, Santa Clara finally gets to experience a long weekend for the first time this year.  When used correctly, the three days can either be a relaxing or exciting experience depending on what activities people decide to do. When used incorrectly, not only will boredom set in, but so will hunger, as 95% of on campus eating completely shuts down for the duration of the weekend.

Work out really hard Friday.  The gym has weird hours, when it’s open at all on three day weekends.  So if working out is one of your new year’s resolutions, make sure you go when everything is still fairly normal.

Lake Tahoe.  The four-hour drive there and back looks a lot less daunting when you don’t have to be back until Tuesday.  If you’ve never gone skiing or snowboarding before, bring an experienced friend or two not only for the tips, but their season passes come with discounted day buddy passes. 

San Francisco.  Whether it’s a day trip, day trips, or an overnight stay, there is a lot to see around the bay, so check out Alcatraz, the Golden Gate, or nearly anything else you want.  The city is huge, so get creative.

Santa Cruz.  Yes, the weather has been a little too cold to go to the beach lately, but there are other three day weekends later on in the year. Also, if the weather is cold, there will most likely be less people for you and your friends to deal with.

Go out to eat.  As stated above, almost all of on campus dining options shut down as Bon Appetit lets its employees enjoy the weekend off.  The good news is, if you’re already behind on dining points for the quarter, these weekends are a great opportunity to get back on track because there is practically nowhere to spend them.  So use these weekends to indulge in Chipotle, Pizza My Heart, anywhere on Santana Row.

Get some homework done.  If there is a project looming on the horizon, or if you’re already behind on reading, use at least part of your weekend to get a better grip on your academic situation.  Also, make sure you have your Tuesday class assignments ready to go, not Monday’s.

Sleep.  With three straight days of no classes, long weekends are an excellent time to make sure you stay as healthy as possible, and besides, who couldn’t use a little extra shut-eye?

Three day weekends are pretty rare, so definitely try to make the most of them when they come.  Get creative, and try to find something to do outside your normal routine.