LEADing Sustainability Through Action

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

This week, I met with Byanka Cruz, the woman behind LEAD (Leaders for Environment, Art, and Design) Organization, and spoke to her about LEAD’s activities promoting sustainability on campus.  According to Byanka, “LEAD aims to deepen the SCU and greater community’s understanding of sustainability.”  Through four main events this year, LEAD hopes to team up SCU students with outside organizations in an attempt to increase knowledge about sustainability.  LEAD works hand in hand with the Retail Management Institute (RMI) on campus and the Santa Clara Community Action Program (SCCAP) to help ensure a sustainable future not only at Santa Clara, but also around the globe. Byanka mentioned that RMI noticed that large retailers were becoming more sustainable over the last 5-7 years, and that this trend inspired students to make the SCU community aware “that their purchasing power can have a global impact.”  To promote this, the LEAD organization, in colllaboration with RMI and SCCAP, are working to spread awareness on campus through multiple events during the winter and spring quarters.

If you’ve been on Facebook and listening around campus lately, you might have heard of an event called “The Princess Project.”  The Princess Project is a charity drive hosted by RMI and the Santa Clara LEAD Organization.  The goal of the project is for girls to donate their gently used prom dresses, shoes, and accessories so that underprivileged girls can go to their prom in style, a luxury they otherwise would not be able to afford.  In addition to the dresses and donations, “The Princess Project promotes self-confidence and individual beauty.”  The dress drive is ongoing through winter quarter and culminates in a volunteer day at the location on March 16. If you are interested in donating a dress, you can find the event here. You can also donate your dresses and accessories at the RMI office, which can be found on the first floor of Lucas Hall.

LEAD also puts on the Eco-Fashion Show, a fashion show that allows teams to create designs solely from existing fabric from the costume shop.  Workshops will be held before the actual event to teach participants how to knit and sew.  This year, the Eco-Fashion Show is going to be held Thursday, April 25 in The de Saisset Museum.

Also occurring during spring quarter is LEAD’s take on the popular Macklemore & Ryan Lewis song, “Thrift Shop,” called Swap for Good.  LEAD will begin taking donations during week 3 of spring quarter. On April 22-23, students can revamp their closets and swap their old clothes for some new ones at Santa Clara’s very own thrift shop.

Finally, LEAD’s “Style Your Soul” event is also occurring during spring quarter this year. Bring your TOMS shoes to the event, either new or used and artists will decorate the shoes for you, giving you some personalized kicks to wear around campus.

More details about LEAD’s spring quarter events will be available in the coming weeks. LEAD’s Facebook can be found here and is the best place to stay up to date.

If we don’t practice sustainability, who will?