alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

Freshman year can be hard for everyone. Mine was especially hard because I was focused on keeping up with my academics and extracurriculars and forgot to take a minute for myself. I couldn’t figure out how to balance school and my personal life.

My days were filled with typical college activities: classes, studying, eating, exercising, and spending time with friends. I hadn’t even noticed that I wasn’t putting any time aside to take care of myself. Instead, I told myself “I didn’t have time.” I definitely did have the time, but I was just filling it with empty activities like watching TV or scrolling through Instagram to no end.

Throughout my life, I have always held myself to high standards and worked to get straight As every quarter. I had never really thought to ask myself the question: why do I need to get straight As? Because my parents want me to? When had all my expectations for myself started being dictated by the expectations of those around me? I made all my decisions based on what I felt I had to do, what I should do, or what I needed to do.

Finding balance in life is a challenge that everyone faces. How much time should you spend studying? How much time should you spend relaxing and doing what you really enjoy?

I spent too much time worrying about what others wanted me to do, and what others expected of me, instead of what I really wanted for myself. When my friend is overloading on classes and participating in countless extracurricular activities, I still find myself questioning if I should be doing more or trying harder. But I now know that I need to put myself first and also take what I want to do and what will make me feel best into consideration.

Some classes will be really hard, and it’s impossible to perfectly understand everything. If I don’t get straight As, it’s not the end of the world. I don’t have to participate in a million extracurriculars just because they look good on my resume, but I can choose a few that I really enjoy.

I try to do one thing a day that I really enjoy and make some time for myself, whether it’s reading a book, going to a coffee shop, writing, or watching a new movie.

Finding balance is a deliberate and continuous effort, and sometimes it really is impossible to fit everything you want to do into 24 hours. If it really will make you happy to take 6 classes while participating in in all the activities you love, then go for it! But if you’re doing it because you feel like you have to, then think about making the choice that will make you happy instead.

You do you. 

Sofia is from the San Francisco Bay Area and studies Political Science (plus a million other minors). Sofia writes about style, travel, food and coffee on her blog, www.sofialeyla.com . In her free time, catch her hammocking by Bellomy Field or finding her zen in yoga class.
Laurel Fisher is a senior at Santa Clara University. She is double majoring in math and French. She loves traveling, scrapbooking, and anything to do with France. In her free time, she loves taking photos of just about anything, watching Netflix, eating delicious food, going to the gym, and spending time with her friends.